Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

major DirectX render problems

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. Im trying to write my first game using DirectX 8.1 The following code worked just fine for the last couple months, but yesterday, it suddenly stopped working on my desktop system while it still works on my laptop. My desktop has DirectX 9.0b, ATI 9700 Pro with 3.9 drivers. Laptop has Radeon mobility. The DMan object you see in the code is just an encapusation class for common DIrectX functions. The problem is that I am able to render a polygon using a vertex buffer, but if I try to render say, a D3DXSprite or D3DXFont, the polygon will disappear after one frame is rendered. It is not throwing any errors at me, it is just now showing up. Also, if I simply add a Begin()/End() block from the Sprite class, the same thing happens. I dont even need to call Draw() to cause the problem. Any help will be...uh...helpful. Thanks //play with vertex buffers CUSTOMVERTEX g_Vertices[] = { { v1.x, v1.y, 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xffff0000, }, // x, y, z, rhw, color { v2.x, v2.y, 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xff00ff00, }, { v3.x, v3.y, 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xff0000ff, }, }; IDirect3DVertexBuffer8* g_pVB; if( FAILED( DMan.GetDevice()->CreateVertexBuffer( 3*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX), 0 /* Usage */, D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &g_pVB ) ) ) return; VOID* pVertices; if( FAILED( g_pVB->Lock( 0, sizeof(g_Vertices), (BYTE**)&pVertices, 0 ) ) ) return; memcpy( pVertices, g_Vertices, sizeof(g_Vertices) ); g_pVB->Unlock(); //Start animation DMan.Begin(); DMan.GetDevice()->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,255), 0, 0); //Play with vertex buffers DMan.GetDevice()->SetStreamSource( 0, g_pVB, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX) ); DMan.GetDevice()->SetVertexShader( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX ); DMan.GetDevice()->DrawPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 1 ); /* ***PROBLEM*** If I try to use ID3DXSprite::Draw() or ID3DXFont::DrawText() the sprite or font will display but the above trianglelist will display for one frame and then disappear. In fact, If I even call a Begin/End block from either of those classes, without actually drawing anything the same problem occurs. */ DMan.End(); DMan.GetDevice()->Present(NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL);

Nevermind everyone...I somehow fixed it by changing the ''BehaviorFlags'' parameter in CreateDevice() from D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING TO D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING. I dont understand what changing that worked, so if anyone has any ideas...Im all ears.

Thanks,
Robby "NeoSparticus" Friedman