3Dsmax model exporter & a model viewer

Started by
3 comments, last by caios 20 years, 5 months ago
I am a final year university student and want to produce a 3D studio max exporter, and then a model viewer to view my exported model. The model viewer will hopefully and eventually have alpha blending, mip mapping, etc. But first of all I just want to get a max exporter going and a model viewer to open the exported file. Where should I start? I have decided to program the model viewer in OpenGL (doing NeHe tutorials). I have installed the MAX SDK and MAX plug-in wizard for Visual C++. Using the plug-in wizard to get a frame work for a 3dsmax exporter I can get it to compile but not build!! Getting an error message that says something like "can not find build.obj". I think that I haven''t set the work space up right. You may have guessed that I''m new to programming and being very ambitious. I would like to hear any input from anybody on this. Good sites to look at, good ways of approaching this project, etc. Any input will be much appreciated. Cheers
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Any idea's? I'm lost again!- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Advertisement
I have never tried the 3dMax thingy, here''s some generic options:

1. Try a rebuild all, something might have accidently got out of date.
2. Make sure you are including any .lib & .dll files.
3. Make sure your directories for your .lib & .h & .dll files are right. If you cannot specify directors, use tools->Options->directories, and put in the correct directories.

Hopefully, this helps.

~~~~~
Adam & Eve "did not know right from wrong, therefore God could not punish them whenever they did all those things that really creeped him out." - Ghastly.
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
You might have better luck on the Discreet boards: http://sparks.discreet.com/

Anyway, if you get missing object files or lib files, you might need to set the library search path for your compiler/linker to include the maxsdk/lib directory.

I *highly* recommend that you download and use the IGameExporter stuff from Sparks; it''s much easier to deal with than Max itself when all you need is exporting. It comes with a sample exporter, that you can modify and re-build to suit yourself.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

IIRC, you have to choose the directory, where your SDK is located if you use the 3dsmax sdk pluginwizard, too.
and take respect that you have to link several additional files from the maxsdk''s lib''s directory.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

Cheers guys. I have linked the Lib and Header files to the project. I think its something to do with the file to be built being .dle not .exe. It says build document, which I think is wrong. Is there a output seting in Visual C++.

I have been adviced to use Igame, but my tutor has recomended I use as little amount of API''s as I can which is why I''m not useing Direct X for my model viewer. But I''ll have a look at it , cheers!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Any idea's? I'm lost again!- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement