Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Best?

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My brother is a direct x programmer, he isnt really good or anything, but he took a couple semester on it i college. To save time, I know this questio should be directed towards him, but I think one of you guys that no more what you''re doing could help me out. We are making a massive multiplayer rpg...like everquest. I am doing the modeling, and I need to know a bunch of stuff: Should I make the model one piece, or multiple pieces (arms,legs, head, etc)? Should I include all texture info in my .3ds file? Should I include animations in the 3ds file? Should special animations go in the 3ds file (sword swing, jump, resting, etc)? How long should the animations be, or does it matter? I am experienced with modeling, just not with making a file clean and easy for the programmer... ANy help will be much appreciated. If there is anything I forgot to mention that you think I should do, et me know also. thanks.

whoa cool an MMORPG! something new and cool!

Anyways, you will probably start out using .X files. D3DX has functions in it that handles all the loading, and there is even a tutorial on it in the SDK (it''s the last one, called ''Creating Meshes'' or something).

If you are using 3ds max to model, you might want to be careful with which materials you use, exactly. From my experience, with the .X exporter I use, it will only export bitmap textures, and not dynamic ones you create in 3ds max like marble or water or stuff like that.

Skinned animation used to be pretty hard, but in 9.0b (the summer update), they added a new interface just for it.

Circlesoft Velocity Engine

I know about .x exports and the capabilities, my major concern isnt what I can do, what should I do to make it easier to manage for my programmer, anything I should limit, or if I should use multiple .x''s for one character.