[java] Need Java Book for C++ Developer

Started by
3 comments, last by jgortner 20 years, 5 months ago
All, I am in need of a good Java 2 book for someone that is very familiar with OOP and C++. I don''t want something that focuses just on applets (but it can include applets), but rather application development. Some Swing, and any other features would be nice. Please let me know what books you recommend! Justin R. Gortner VT Student jgortner@vt.edu AIM: crazie hokie
Justin R. GortnerVT Studentjgortner@vt.eduAIM: crazie hokie
Advertisement
I found Ivor Horton''s "Beginning Java 2" to be useable as an introduction to the language. The early couple chapters are somewhat redundant if you know C++ and OOP, but it quickly gets to useful material.

But once you learn the language, the libraries are the next big step. For them, the best bet is to download the API documentation from java.sun.com.
"Core Java 2: Advanced Techniques" should be pretty ideal. The language itself should be easy to pick up, I''ve never seen anyone with a C++ background stumble with Java. CJ2 covers a lot of essential topics like threading, networking, collections (Java''s equivalent to the STL), security, xml, as well as slightly more advanced but essential topics like RMI (remote method invocation), and JNI (java native interface, calling C or C++ code from a Java app).

It also covers Swing and AWT, but more advanced stuff. Sun offers excellent tutorials on Swing and AWT at their website.
If you don''t mind reading online, you can get free The Java Tutorial. If you want a print version, it comes as three separate books.

The Java Tutorial, 3rd Edition
The JFC Swing Tutorial: A Guide to Constructing GUIs
The Java Tutorial Continued: The Rest of the JDK

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
you could google for "Thinking in Java" from Bruce Eckel as well.
And you might to look at Java language specification as well. It''s somewhere at http://java.sun.com
Look at projects on sourceforge.net and at Javagaming.org for some source codes. You know tests in schools are answered by books, but actual programming is learnable from source code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement