Ahh Cg is so frusterating!!

Started by
16 comments, last by ph33r 20 years, 5 months ago
I went out and purchased a top of the line video card the radeon 9800 pro specifically so I could program vertex/pixel shaders. Then I go out and purchase the book the Cg Tutorial which has the Cg Toolkit on it that has all the example programs in it to use. The thing is my video card doesn''t support any of the examples it says my hardware doesn''t have the required extensions to run the samples! I spent 300+ on the video card and I can''t run any of the examples? Arg! sigh.. I guess I just need to vent maybe drop kicking my Cg book at my graphics card will help.
Advertisement
Return your ATI card and buy a NVIDIA if you want to use cg. IIRC, cg is NVIDIA only.

--
Dustin
no, cg can be used on every graphic card supporting either DX or GL;
cg is nothing else than another highlevel language which compiles down the code at runtime to either DXHLSL or GLARBasm code. i think your problem is a settin's one; i haven't read the book, but i'm sure that there is an explanation how to setup the IDE.

but: as said in other threads, the cg compiler does some ugly things which seems to driving ATI cards wierd, but not nvidia's one.

i would advise you to keep your radeon - why give it back ? to get a GFFX which needs two slots because of its fat coolers ?
(the only bad thing with ATI cards is that the drivers are not as good as nvidia's one)

>>have the required extensions to run the samples!
both are supporting vertex/pixelshader 2.0, so i see no reason why it shouldn't run.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

[edited by - DJSnow on November 7, 2003 8:52:03 PM]
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
Sounds like the toolkit is specifically looking for the nvidia extensions, and not the ARB extensions. Or something.

The examples don''t work, but Cg most certainly does. (I got my radeon 9700 for exactly the same reason you did)

I''m hip because I say "M$".
"There is only one everything"
But it is using ARB extensions, here is an example of an error message I get

quote:
Title: Cg Tutorial Examples - Bump Error

Sorry, you are unable to view this effect because it requires extensions that your hardware does not support.
Here are the unsupported extensions:
GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_texture_compression
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
WGL_ARB_pbuffer
WGL_ARB_pixel_format
WGLB_ARB_render_texture

I''ve also downloaded the latest driver for my videa card so that shouldn''t be a problem.

mmh...interesting:

GL_ARB_vertex_program appears in the list, but not the fragment program (on an radeon9800!) - this means it supports the fragment program, but not the vertex program.
have you already tried to re-install the driver ? (after cleaning out the registry from all ati stuff?)

though, it may be that the card is damaged; but this would have a bigger impact on the working on the card than only not-to-support a extension, i believe (but, i have seen very funny hardware bugs in my life, so you can''t exclude that) but..mmhmmm; i''m pretty sure that this is not the problem. but, if you don''t come along perhaps it may be worth to try it out.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
somethings wrong if you can''t even find GL_ARB_multitexture, try reinstalling the card / drivers
It''s likely you''re not getting hardware OpenGL.

Go to http://www.ati.com/ and download Catalyst 3.9. They''re much more stable than 3.8, and should support all the features of the 9800 just fine.

The only think that CG doesn''t do on Radeons is work with the 3dsmax plug-in, apparently that''s neutered to work with NVIDIA cards only. Kind-of a shame, as we''re not likely to use a tool which half of our artists can''t use.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
You''re probaly right hplus0603, I''m not getting hardware OpenGL. The thing is I''ve downloaded Catalyst 3.9 twice now and I''m still not getting the extensions!

Ugg, why is this so difficult?
Does Quake 3 work with your new card?

Your best bet would be to NOT use Cg and rather use HLSL or ARB_vp/ARB_fp. You''ll get better speed on your Radeon if you don''t use Cg (apparently NVIDIA has put in lots of unneeded calls in the Cg code that their drivers filter out, but it really slows down ATI cards... or so I heard )

My Website | Everything you need to know about 3D Graphics | Google | Search the Forums

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement