• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elite19

What math for Computer science?

This topic is 5363 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, next year i will be completing my last year of highscool and would like to do a CS degree after that. I asked a couple of weeks ago here what math subjects i should choose and everyone suggested discrete and calculus. I was just checking out some universitys websites that i would like to attend and this is what i found Computer Science Subject 1: Any TEE Mathematics* Subject 2: Any subject from List 2 Recommended: Applicable Mathematics * Students who enter with Discrete Mathematics only will be required to take additional mathematics units in first year at University to bring them up to the same standard as Applicable Mathematics Why applicable?? Is it the same at other uni''s?

Advertisement
God this is confusing,

One other uni near me has only discrete math as a pre requestit

At this rate i will end up doing them all

Not sure entirely what applicable mathematics entails, but Discrete mathematics should definitely be taken. As for Calculus, I think you should take it just for the fun of it, you won''t NEED to know it for your CS degree, but it''s still fun and useful if you want to do some real-time physics style programming...or something similar. I''ve just finished my first year in CS and I was suprised at the low level of maths involved, just a bit of matrix algebra, set and graph theory, boolean algebra and logic.

You better take Discrete Math and Calculus, they''re both pretty damn important. What if you want to make a physics simulator somewhere down the road? You''re screwed without calculus.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Take all of them.

Wait a second - I must have missed this in the original post. "Applicable mathematics" is more advanced than Discrete Math? I''ve never heard of "applicable mathematics" but I guess you should take that then.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''d say take all of the math you can manage. Calc, discrete math, differential equations, linear algebra, etc. are invaluable tools in graphics, physics, and other systems that attempt to mimic reality.

Every university is somewhat different in their requirements. My university required me to take 3 semesters of engineering Calculus, 2 semesters of 3rd year Discrete Math, and a semester of 4th year calculus-based Statistics and Probability. The new catalog for my uni also requires Linear Algebra.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!