advance analysis and signal processing

algebra 1
algebra 2
algebra 3 (optional)

discrete mathematics
probability and statistics

normal differential equations
partial differential equations

In my point of view,a good software engineer must know them all.

Advertisement
Now here''s a nice "this is my favourite math topic" thread :>

The choice of math topics really depends on the area of computer science you''re pursuing into. *Really.*

So wouldn''t it be better just to choose a programming topic that interests you, and learn the math along with learning the programming?

- Mikko Kauppila
If you want to go into embedded systems or control systems, you should know at least basic calculus. Also Diff.E.Q. could help with embedded/control systems. Another area calculus might be useful is in some graphics renderings, like understanding the rendering equation and it could be very helpful for understanding some radiosity algorithms.

LinaInverse
I guess I don''t need to worry about that since I am going for a Math Major instead of a Comp Sci Major. I would end up taking pretty much all of those classes, or more advanced versions, anyway.
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
Learn all of them. You''re not anxious of hard work. You want to become a software engineer. Get used to it.
Why don't alcoholics make good calculus teachers?Because they don't know their limits!Oh come on, Newton wasn't THAT smart...
Computers are ***discrete**** :-)

I am not sure how to tell you why they are different and how, but in calculus you will begin by learning how to graph functions and perform limits. In discrete math you will learn how to count (hehe) and how to build up logical systems that deal with countable things. If you get a good class you will learn the foundations of math like set theory, logic, functions, relations, and stuff you really need to know.

In any case I always leaned towards discrete math because I have used it so much more and it was taught so well to me. It was also where I learned about recursions, trees, graphs, and the sort of thing as a programmer I have dealt with all the time. Maybe you will get a terrible experience though. I use the stuff I learned in Discrete math everyday all the time.

But, for me *both* were a requirement. I had to take Calculus first Year (1,2,3). I had to take Discrete Math/Foundations 2nd year. It was required for a CS/Math degree (my school was more math than CS really).
Yep, the math you should learn depends on the field of CS you want to get into. If you''re confused about your choices now, just take the math courses that interest you; you can always pick up the rest later (even if you have to teach it to yourself). Calculus and Discrete Mathematics seem to be the basics. My university''s CS department does not require CS majors to take any Calculus past single variable differential and integral calculus and it doesn''t require them to take linear algebra. Discrete mathematics, logic, and basic probability are requirements. This is my personal experience; I hope it will help.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer,
fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the
double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...
-- Terry Pratchett
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer,fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about thedouble-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... -- Terry Pratchett

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement