Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Programming with C++

This topic is 5152 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have no experience at all with C++. Ive played around with visual basic but C++ is a lot different and i dont know anywhere to get a tutorial on how to make a reely reely reely simple game. Heeeeeelp

Pick up a good introductory book such as Accelerated C++ or C++ Primer , but if buying a book isn't an option for you, then check out this full online book:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days

BTW, don't be misguided by the title, as it is NOT possible to learn the language in just 21 days, you will need a lot more time.

[edited by - chacha on November 8, 2003 2:21:20 AM]

I agree with aftermath. An actual book is much better to learn from.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

quote:
Original post by aftermath
I really go against reading online.

I disagree, online tutorials are useful as a supplement to books, and they can solidify the things you learn in books. But I guess you meant that they are not good as a stand-alone resource? Well, I agree in that case.

[edited by - chacha on November 8, 2003 2:22:26 AM]

quote:
Original post by chacha
quote:

I disagree, online tutorials are useful as a supplement to books, and they can solidify the things you learn in books. But I guess you meant that they are not good as a stand-alone resource? Well, I agree in that case.

I just don’t learn very well when I have to stare into the monitor for hours upon hours. Do you feel me?

I jus think that with I book, I can concentrate on actually learning what the author is talking about more. With a monitor, I will have distractions (like my Britney wallpaper, and sutch...) that will take my attention away from the reading material.

Also, reading of a book is easy on the eyes.

quote:
I just don’t learn very well when I have to stare into the monitor for hours upon hours. Do you feel me?

I jus think that with I book, I can concentrate on actually learning what the author is talking about more. With a monitor, I will have distractions (like my Britney wallpaper, and sutch...) that will take my attention away from the reading material.

I agree.

quote:
quote:
Original post by chacha
quote:

Although I found reading from an LCD a lot better than a book! Considering the proper illumination, etc. I would NEVER recommend reading off an old CRT monitor though.. unless you want a headache =]

safari.informit.com <- amazing place where I read over half the books I''ve wanted to.

Including C++ Primer, Modern C++, Exceptional, More Exceptional, 2 Game Design books, Managed DX with Tom Philips, MS CLR unleashed, etc. It''s a great place to either read books online, or print them out. You get a free 14 day subscription and it''s only $15 a month if you want to keep it =]