• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hekki

Programming with C++

This topic is 5459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have no experience at all with C++. Ive played around with visual basic but C++ is a lot different and i dont know anywhere to get a tutorial on how to make a reely reely reely simple game. Heeeeeelp

Advertisement
Pick up a good introductory book such as Accelerated C++ or C++ Primer , but if buying a book isn't an option for you, then check out this full online book:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days

BTW, don't be misguided by the title, as it is NOT possible to learn the language in just 21 days, you will need a lot more time.

[edited by - chacha on November 8, 2003 2:21:20 AM]

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

And any other google things on c++ tutorials.

EDIT: Talky too soony.

[edited by - Newfound Ajarn on November 8, 2003 2:09:22 AM]

I agree with aftermath. An actual book is much better to learn from.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

quote:
Original post by aftermath
I really go against reading online.

I disagree, online tutorials are useful as a supplement to books, and they can solidify the things you learn in books. But I guess you meant that they are not good as a stand-alone resource? Well, I agree in that case.

[edited by - chacha on November 8, 2003 2:22:26 AM]

quote:
Original post by chacha
quote:

I disagree, online tutorials are useful as a supplement to books, and they can solidify the things you learn in books. But I guess you meant that they are not good as a stand-alone resource? Well, I agree in that case.

I just don’t learn very well when I have to stare into the monitor for hours upon hours. Do you feel me?

I jus think that with I book, I can concentrate on actually learning what the author is talking about more. With a monitor, I will have distractions (like my Britney wallpaper, and sutch...) that will take my attention away from the reading material.

Also, reading of a book is easy on the eyes.

quote:
I just don’t learn very well when I have to stare into the monitor for hours upon hours. Do you feel me?

I jus think that with I book, I can concentrate on actually learning what the author is talking about more. With a monitor, I will have distractions (like my Britney wallpaper, and sutch...) that will take my attention away from the reading material.

I agree.

quote:
quote:
Original post by chacha
quote:

Although I found reading from an LCD a lot better than a book! Considering the proper illumination, etc. I would NEVER recommend reading off an old CRT monitor though.. unless you want a headache =]

safari.informit.com <- amazing place where I read over half the books I''ve wanted to.

Including C++ Primer, Modern C++, Exceptional, More Exceptional, 2 Game Design books, Managed DX with Tom Philips, MS CLR unleashed, etc. It''s a great place to either read books online, or print them out. You get a free 14 day subscription and it''s only $15 a month if you want to keep it =]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!