Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardware acceleration in SDL??

This topic is 5149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, everyone! Right now I''m trying to develop cross-platform applications using SDL and OpenGL... But I''ve run into a problem. when running it in Linux SDL insists on using a software surface, and software blitting! I''ve installed the drivers for my video card, and the newest version of Mesa. All other games which I''ve tested work, (they use OpenGL, but I don''t know about SDL...) Hope someone can help

You won''t get far with 2D fuctionality in Linux SDL. As long as you don''t use DGA, there''s no way for the SDL to directly access the 2D acceleration offered by the hardware (yes, that is because X11 sucks for anything but xterms). 3D acceleration via OpenGL should be fine, though as long as the proper DRI drivers are installed.

Call 'glinfo' and 'glxinfo' (especially the latter). They will give you many information about the current GL driver used.

Try the NeHe SDL tutorials examples. They are accelerated in Linux. For the last contest (LOTR:TTT) I was using the NeHe SDL basecode so that my entry can run both on Windows and Linux, and 3D hardware acceleration was all there without any problem (on both Windows and Linux of course).

[edited by - vincoof on November 8, 2003 8:31:37 AM]

Yay! I did it...

I must have misunderstood that Mesa is a software implementation of Opengl ...
The OpenGL libraries that came with the drivers for my screencard were in a different directory, so that gcc couldn''t find them!
But I fixed it now..

Thanks for the help!