Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

decisions

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ive become alittle frusterated with deciding if i should use vc++ or vb.net to program my game. i like vb.net because i know alot of it and am familiar with its surroundings but i am new to vc++ (not .net i think its version6). all the code that are on the sites to develop games are in c++. should i just start learning vc++ or should i go searching again for vb.net help code? i can not afford visual c++.net at this time but maybe after christmas i will be able to.

It''s certainly possible to program computer games in VB. They will typically be slower than their C/C++ counterparts however for most indie games this doesn''t make much of a difference (plus the decrease in development time is certainly a plus with VB). Also remember that VB isn''t portable (i.e. - Windows only (okay, I know that''s not entirely true but you know what I mean)) but again this may or may not be a factor in your decision.

I would still recommend learning C++ as it is a standard. You don''t need Visual C++.Net either, there are plenty of free compilers out there that, many of which are arguable better. Borland has a free commandline compiler and there is of course GCC. Since I wouldn''t recommend someone new to C++ using a commandline compiler you might also want to check out http://www.bloodshed.net which is a pretty decent IDE (definitely approaching the .NET level).

I have been finding myself in the same boat lately. The problems I''ve found with making games in VB.NET are that you''ve pretty much gotta use the managed DX9, which the SDK doesn''t come with docs for (not to mention my video card not supporting D3D9 :-( ), and that there are very few tutorials on DX in VB. Maybe someone out there knows of some good DX VB tutorials, I would like to know too.

Yoshin- thanks for the reply (was quick) im going to try the bloodshed one first. i think with your reply im going to lean towards c++ because in the long run that will probably help me.

Anozireth try this out, i found it but it didnt work for me because i dont have dx9: http://sunlightd.virtualave.net/Windows/DirectX.NET/DXTestVB.html