Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding velocity vector

This topic is 5152 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I wonder if anybody has a good way of finding an arbitrary points velocity vector in a 3d-System where the systems velocity and angular velocity is knowned. The center of the angular velocity is also knowned. I can''t seem to come up with a good way so some help would gladly be recieved :D. /Niklas

Sure

The angular velocity is store like this:

Vector angularVelocity;
where the klass Vector has an X, Y and Z. Each for the velocity around that axis.

The center of the angular velocity and the point to check the linear velocity in are also stored in a Vector and is point in the 3d-system.

I guess i want the points linear velocity in the local system caused by the angular velocity and after that convert the new velocity vector to the global system where i add the original systems global speed.

Sorry for being so unspecific,

/Niklas

I can''t seem to find a good reference online, and I don''t happen to have my mechanics text with me, but I seem to recall that

V = R x W

where V is the velocity vector, W is the angular velocity vector and R is the position vector relative to the origin (through which the W vector passes)

If you get a incorrectly -ve result, swap the order of the R and W

ok,

Lets say you got the following vectors:

- LinearVelocity

- AngularVelocity (the vector points in the direction of the rotation axis, the length of the vector corresponds to the angular velocity in radians per second)

- Position (position vector of a point relative to the center of the rotation)

the velocity of a point will be:

LinearVelocity + cross product (AngularVelocity, Position)

pretty simple huh?

Thanks Geoff and SpaceDude. Your formula seems to work fine =). I do the cross product in SpaceDudes order and have the point i check converted into relative coordinants to the center of the rotation.

/Niklas