Not another Gfx API War

Started by
11 comments, last by Xeee 20 years, 5 months ago
I''m An Intermediate OpenGL programmer, I''ve heard that DirectX starting from version 8 became much easier than OpenGL, especially when using D3DX(includes SIMD optimized Quaternion, Vector and Matrix Routines, bump mapping, cube mapping wrappers and alot more) and the native DirectX format(which includes models, materials and even animation!!) also the newly introduced effects file format, what''s that it''s a war on OpenGL, i feel angry but don''t know what to do. as i want to make Game Programming my career, if it turns out that DirectX is really easier, i''ll have to switch to it. so, i want the opinion of someone who has tried both OpenGL and DirectX 8.0+, is it really easier, and will learning dx make my job easier thanks for ur interest xee..
xee..
Advertisement
All wrappers, just like MFC, will make the programming job easier, but you will not learn as much, and they will bind your code some more to the microsoft platform. Some people might just like to use microsoft quaternions and vectors everywhere in their code, I would find that rather annoying.

This is a bit like the "Make an engine or use an already existing one. By making my own engine, I have learned much more than I ever have when making Quake 2/Half-life mods and the likes. By making a raytracer, I have learned much more than I ever have learned when using OpenGL. When programming in C++, I have learned much more about programming than with any other language.

Of course, you can''t make everything yourself, at some point, you can''t just code your own OS in straight ASM and program everything on top of it, but I find it nice to keep a certain level of separation from each API I use. In other words, whatever wrappers there are for Direct3D, I''m going to have to convert my own internal formats anyways.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Try reading this article for starters.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Guys, I want to hear ur opinion from the Commercial point of view, as i''m gonna use it for Shareware Commercial Games\Products.

xee..
xee..
If you mean you''ll be an indie and working for yourself then it doesn''t matter. Flip a coin... or learn both.

Mark

Flatspace is coming: Topdown Elite for 2004
A hobbyist can choose the API they find eaiser to use, but an Indie needs to consider other factors. You first need to determine your target market (hardcore gamers, casual gamers, kids, etc...). Then you need to determine what sort of hardware is likely most common in your target market. That''s the minimum you need to shoot for. You can then decide to expand that by supporting lesser configurations.

Most indie devs target the causal gamer. Going for the hardcore market puts you in direct competition with the box titles the big boys put out, even if you are distributing online only. IMO the safest path in the casual gamer market right now is to use no later than DirectX 7. This is based on feedback on indie games I have seen around the net, and discussions I have seen at the Dexterity forums & other places. I''ve seen a few 3D games using DX8 in the market, but with a great deal of ''I can''t run this game'' feedback accompanying them.

OpenGL is risky on older hardware, less-so if you restrict yourself to 1.1 features. And, again based on my own observations, I don''t see the Linux & Mac casual gamer markets as worth the effort for going cross platform *at the present*. It might not be worthwhile to go the OpenGL route. That being said, I''m using OpenGL myself because I prefer it to the older versions of D3D. I am restricting myself to windows for the time being, however. In the future, when I''m ready to go cross-platform, I''ll most likely go the Java + OpenGL + OpenAL route.
purely out of intrest, but why Java? Why not SDL+OpenGL+OpenAL (letting SDL handle the windowing side of things)?
Because I prefer Java
quote:Because I prefer Java

Im curious, what kind of game actually you had released written in Java?
I think you''ll find JAVA works with SDL, OpenGL and OpenAL too. So you can make some pretty good games with JAVA, despite the fact it''s harder than C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement