Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Index buffer or triangle strip

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Generally, indexed triangle strips are the fastest; but there is little to no difference between indexed triangle strips and indexed triangle lists with today’s hardware. However, since the real performance gain is going to come from batching; I would recommend the indexed triangle lists.

[edited by - Sean Doherty on November 8, 2003 6:54:24 PM]

For the most part, you should always use index buffers when you render geometry. But in the case of a cube, it won''t make a difference because none of the vertex data is really shared. Index buffers help a lot when vertices are shared between triangles. In the case of a cube, you have to replicate vertices because each vertex needs to have a different normal describing the normal of the face that the vertex belongs to.

neneboricua

Doing a cube with one continuous strip is kinda gross. Cubes really are one of the worst examples of a 3D model, too bad they''re so easy to generate.

Using Indexed Lists will reduce your vertex count to 4 vs 6 per face, but unless you''re drawing a lot of cubes with a single call I don''t think the difference would be measurable.

So if you just want to draw a cube, I''d just use an ordinary (unindexed) Triangle List.

If you want to explore the benefits of the different methods then use something other than a cube, you''ll almost never run into a useful model that has such a tiny number of polygons split into logically separate pieces.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena