• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hekki

Help! Programming Games with VB

This topic is 5358 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have VB 6.0, I want to program games. I''ve read tutorials for VB, they are good except i fall asleep first paragraph. I want to learn how to program games, I''ve already programmed a few simple stuff with VB and tried out C++, but C++ is extremely difficult and I would probably understand it more if I worked with VB first for very simple games. basicly what im trying to say is i wannt a tutorial for programming games on VB!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Hekki
I''ve read tutorials for VB, they are good except I fall asleep on the first paragraph.

If you fall asleep on the first paragraph, I suggest you reconsider your choice. If you want to properly learn programming you''ll have to spend hundreds of hours, and if you don''t have the motivation to do so stay away. I''ll suggest you to start small and work your way up...

ive tried vb for games, if you want to make a decent game u will have to use c++.

vb is too slow, unless you use directx, then ofcourse you should just c++ with directx as the learning curve probably would be the same.

c++ is better in everyway. Just play around with it for a while until you work out how it goes.

I use to use vb, and i thought c++ was 2 hard. But i kept at it and i havent used vb since. The coding in c++ is so so much clearer and easier to layout.

Go to those websites I recommended and you''ll how wrong johnnyBravo is. I personally wrote an isometric engine in VB with DirectX and get 60+ FPS with a screenfull of objects on my 192MB of RAM and my 16MB video card. Not fast enough?

i slightly said unless u use directx.......

edit:

anyway vb coding is evilish microsoft anyway
whats all dim a as integer crap compared to int a;
now which is clearer

[edited by - johnnyBravo on November 11, 2003 9:51:03 AM]

quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
anyway vb coding is evilish microsoft anyway

yes, evilness is to be avoided, right? heh...
quote:
whats all dim a as integer crap compared to int a;
now which is clearer

like that matters. i can understand both (since i know both languages, which is good for if you want to actually get a job someday).

to illustrate the benefits of using VB, look up how to change the caption of a window in C or C++, compared to "form1.caption = whatever". then add three buttons and a dropdown listbox, and make them work.

i first started with Q-BASIC, then Delphi, then started VB and it was quite fun. i made my first game in VB (multiplayer Pong). VB is very nice when you want to make a windows GUI quicly and it''s quite nice when you use DX (no more tons of pointers and stuff like in VC++). But after you get more experience in it you find that it is much less powerfull than VC++. oh and dont forget the MS evilness.

You can write some nice DX stuff in VB and you get experience in the API with it. Then you could move to VC++.

[ My Site ]
All your source are belong to us
/*ilici*/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!