Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! Programming Games with VB

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have VB 6.0, I want to program games. I''ve read tutorials for VB, they are good except i fall asleep first paragraph. I want to learn how to program games, I''ve already programmed a few simple stuff with VB and tried out C++, but C++ is extremely difficult and I would probably understand it more if I worked with VB first for very simple games. basicly what im trying to say is i wannt a tutorial for programming games on VB!

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Hekki
I''ve read tutorials for VB, they are good except I fall asleep on the first paragraph.

If you fall asleep on the first paragraph, I suggest you reconsider your choice. If you want to properly learn programming you''ll have to spend hundreds of hours, and if you don''t have the motivation to do so stay away. I''ll suggest you to start small and work your way up...

ive tried vb for games, if you want to make a decent game u will have to use c++.

vb is too slow, unless you use directx, then ofcourse you should just c++ with directx as the learning curve probably would be the same.

c++ is better in everyway. Just play around with it for a while until you work out how it goes.

I use to use vb, and i thought c++ was 2 hard. But i kept at it and i havent used vb since. The coding in c++ is so so much clearer and easier to layout.

Go to those websites I recommended and you''ll how wrong johnnyBravo is. I personally wrote an isometric engine in VB with DirectX and get 60+ FPS with a screenfull of objects on my 192MB of RAM and my 16MB video card. Not fast enough?

i slightly said unless u use directx.......

edit:

anyway vb coding is evilish microsoft anyway
whats all dim a as integer crap compared to int a;
now which is clearer

[edited by - johnnyBravo on November 11, 2003 9:51:03 AM]

quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo

yes, evilness is to be avoided, right? heh...
quote:
whats all dim a as integer crap compared to int a;
now which is clearer

like that matters. i can understand both (since i know both languages, which is good for if you want to actually get a job someday).

to illustrate the benefits of using VB, look up how to change the caption of a window in C or C++, compared to "form1.caption = whatever". then add three buttons and a dropdown listbox, and make them work.

i first started with Q-BASIC, then Delphi, then started VB and it was quite fun. i made my first game in VB (multiplayer Pong). VB is very nice when you want to make a windows GUI quicly and it''s quite nice when you use DX (no more tons of pointers and stuff like in VC++). But after you get more experience in it you find that it is much less powerfull than VC++. oh and dont forget the MS evilness.

You can write some nice DX stuff in VB and you get experience in the API with it. Then you could move to VC++.

[ My Site ]
All your source are belong to us
/*ilici*/

Guest Anonymous Poster
Krez: How often do you see 3D games that even have a window title bar, let alone an MFC drop-down box...

quote:
Original post by Ilici
But after you get more experience in it you find that it is much less powerfull than VC++. oh and dont forget the MS evilness.

funny, VC++ is also a microsoft product; is this form of evilness somehow excused?

AP: i didn''t mention MFC, you can get a dropdown box without it... but anyway, i was just stating that VB isn''t worthless and evil as johnnybravo said, and gave an example why.

quote:

O noez teh MS si eval i duno y but call it evil neways omfg y am i sti,l using wnidows???? o yeah just going with a random idea someone spawned but I still use MS products daily anyways roofles omfg evil MS die!!111 )))

quote:
Original post by krez
quote:
Original post by Ilici
But after you get more experience in it you find that it is much less powerfull than VC++. oh and dont forget the MS evilness.

funny, VC++ is also a microsoft product; is this form of evilness somehow excused?

AP: i didn''t mention MFC, you can get a dropdown box without it... but anyway, i was just stating that VB isn''t worthless and evil as johnnybravo said, and gave an example why.

VC follows the C language standard but VB is all MS, but the "evilness" is the fact that you need the big runtime dll for it. anyways this is beyond the scope of the thread.

When I started working at my current job, my first two projects were to write a Duck and a Quail hunting simulation. I did them both in VB with DirectX 8, and both of them can now be found on Arcade Machines in hunting/sporting goods stores. READ: Published, money-making, commercial product written in VB with DirectX. Yes, it''s do-able, yes, it''s commercially viable. Moreover, it was an excellent way for me to learn DirectX while still using a language I was familiar with.

On the other hand, I have since switched to writing games in C++. Most of what I know about writing games in C++ I learned here on the job. I have found C++ to be much more versatile, clean, and powerful than VB, if written properly (it even easier to write sloppy code in C++ than in VB!).

Now that I have published using both languages, I choose to focus more on C++. But I will never drop my VB skills--I still use VB quite often for creating tools and utilities.

quote:
Original post by Ilici
VC follows the C language standard

not really (at least, not perfectly; there is plenty of MS "evilness" included).
quote:
but VB is all MS,

it is based on BASIC, actually. of course they had to add in extra stuff to deal with the windowsy parts...
quote:
but the "evilness" is the fact that you need the big runtime dll for it.

i wouldn''t call that evil; java needs extra files to run programs, and so does .NET.
quote:
anyways this is beyond the scope of the thread.

how so? the OP wanted to know if it is alright to use VB for games, and most of the responses are plain old FUD and biased elitism.

simply put, dont use VB for game programming.

Visual C++ 6.0 has the Wrox Press C++ Tutorial included with it, if you get stuck, and there are numerous others on the web.

quote:
Original post by krez funny, VC++ is also a microsoft product; is this form of evilness somehow excused?

AP: i didn't mention MFC, you can get a dropdown box without it... but anyway, i was just stating that VB isn't worthless and evil as johnnybravo said, and gave an example why.

difference with vc++ is that the idea behind the coding style wasn't all microsoft.

vb is like writing a sentence. Sure thats great for newbies, but after you start writing complicated things, you get huge lines of code, instead you could just use symbols like in c++ eg && || instead of and ,or

instead of
do while/until whatever
loop or while/until whatever

its while(whatever)
{
}

how much nicer is that

quote:
Original post by RuneLancer
O noez teh MS si eval i duno y but call it evil neways omfg y am i sti,l using wnidows???? o yeah just going with a random idea someone spawned but I still use MS products daily anyways roofles omfg evil MS die!!111 )))

well i dont have much choice with windows, im not going to linux, its not worth the trouble of learning a new operating system and then getting windows emulators!

and then working out how to use the networking stuff etc, i have enough trouble with windows...

i use to code games in vb, after a while i got sick of its style, like it is really easy if you are given a gui interface already done for you, but it ends up being messy.

Im sure you can probably put everything into modules in vb, but in c++ ive created classes etc for different things, eg my own dx wrapper that has another couple of classes ontop of that which create things like buttons, radio buttons, text boxes.

they arnt that hard to manually do

...oh and mfc thats evil too

[edited by - johnnyBravo on November 12, 2003 8:23:25 PM]

quote:
difference with vc++ is that the idea behind the coding style wasn''t all microsoft.

vb is like writing a sentence.

there was BASIC before there was microsoft, and it has a similar coding style that might seem like writing a sentence to some.

what with .NET and all, VB isn''t much slower either. not enough to cry about anyway.

you don''t have to use VB if you don''t like its style, but don''t claim that it is totally inappropriate for games when people have given examples to showe that isn''t true.

jesus the guy asked for some good tuts not an argument about is C++ being better than VB. I suggest some people leave thier ego''s at the door before they come onto these forums.

Yes everyone knows C++ is a powerful lanuage and is the industry standard at the moment. Yes it takes longer to learn than most others but its about having fun programming games not getting frustrated about some obscure feature of a lanuage that you don''t quite understand.

I think most people that learn game programming in VB most likely move onto to C++/C#/Java but bashing thier choice is likely to put them off coming here and being part of these great boards.

its about choice don''t you know have you not seen the matrix

RuneLancer h3y ya shud betta lern englishhh bcause no1 undastantz ya :D

VB6 is pretty good for game programming if you a) don''t want to write commercial games and b) know how to optimize your code

Well, I actually wrote an 3D BSP renderer in pure VB6 and it works on 30 FPS (not good i know, but it''s VB and I didn''t say VB is as fast as C++). It''s also possible to optimize VB code by using DLLs/ASM hacks and get more speed.

Hekki: though I''ve not much stuff on my website you could visit my site at www.gametutorials.de maybe you''ll find something usefull. I hope I could upload an MD2/MD3 tutorial to the site which will definately show you some game programming techniques (most D3D tutorials i read doesn''t cover actual game programming, only effects programming/triangle rendering ;P)