Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDK question

This topic is 5146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I posted this in the Java discussion, but that place is a ghost town. Hope I don''t make anyone mad by asking a Java question here. I have a very boring job that gives me plenty of time to study and learn programming at work. The problem is my computer at work is running windows 2000 and I do not have the admin password. Therefore, I cannot install the java sdk. I found a c++ compiler from borland that does not need you to install the program, you can just simply copy the files to the hardrive and run it right there without making any changes to the system. Is there a way to do that with Java? I tired installing the sdk on my computer at home, then copying all the files to cd, but they will not work on the system at work. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you need the SDK to get the compiler, or the compiler
and the runtimes? If you know you have the Java runtimes,
and just need a good old compiler, with out a needed install check out:

http://www.eclipse.org/

quote:
I found a c++ compiler from borland that does not need you to install the program, you can just simply copy the files to the hardrive and run it right there without making any changes to the system. Is there a way to do that with Java?

The eclipse compiler needs you to just unzip it into any
directory and it will work. But, (not knowing your current
knowledge with Java) to run Java programs, you need the
runtimes(JRE) to run them. So its not only needing the compiler
like in C++ and making pure executables and running them, but also the runtimes that are needed, which cannot be simply copied & pasted (ie. they need installed ).
If you need the runtimes, im afraid i cant be of much more
help.

Best regards