Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keeping track of animations? (and collisions)

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the 2d tile based game I''m writing, I am trying to think of how to keep track of animations... Should I keep an array of structs with the x,y,width,height of each frame, and load that info from a file? And what if one animation needs to loop, and another animation needs to alternate directions from first frame to last to first? One more think on animations...How should I keep track of, say, the character''s attack, walk, jump, etc. animations? Lastly, I dont want to do pixel perfect collision detection, because, what if the players head goes over the bottom of a tree? Thats not a collision... Any suggestions? Thanks, Lord Hen "I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally." - W. C. Fields [edited by - Lord Hen on December 2, 2008 2:32:49 AM]

what you need to do is store your animation frames separate from your animating object. Your animationObjects can then store the current animation that it is displaying as well as the currentFrame of that animation. That way all animationObjects are displaying different frames at different times. One animationObject could be looping while another could be alternating directions between the frames.

struct Animation
{
Surface* frames;
int numFrames;
int Width;
int Height;
}
#define NUM_ANIMATIONS 4

//this is your animation frames array
Animation animations[NUM_ANIMATIONS];

#define WALKING_ANIMATION 0
#define DEATH_ANIMATION 1
struct AnimationObject
{
Animation* currentAnimation;
int currentAnimationFrame;
}

As for collisions, use bounding circles. If you have a character that's 32x32 pixels you can use a bounding circle with a radius of 16 to do your collisions. Make the circle smaller if you want the collisions to be less precise.

[edited by - BoosterBoy on November 9, 2003 4:17:14 AM]

Incidentally if you want to animate your tiles, a simple method is to have an array of old tile->new tile numbers. Each frame (or anim unit) set the old to new and reprint. That way you can set up loops of tile numbers or whatever. I used that trick years ago on Amiga and it was quite versitile. You can get tiles to run little explosions that end in a rubble tile for example.

Mark

Flatspace is coming: Topdown Elite for 2004