Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Licencing etc....

This topic is 5077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have just finished my first games project - an Arkanoid Clone. But I coded it in an Introductory version of VC++ 6.0. As a result a little window pops up every time I run my executable saying - "The Terms of the end user licence agreement for Visual C++ Introductory Edition do not permit redistribution of executables you create with this product" - Does this mean I can''t post my game up on the net in order for people to download it? If so, Is there another way round this without having to pay anything? I''m 15 and extremely skint! Thanks. Hugh Osborne

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Or use warezzzzed copy.

Idiot.

And to the OP:
Just use some free compiler. BCC, GCC etc.

"Yeah, I would've killed you, but I'm glad I didn't - the paperwork is a bitch"

[edited by - rohde on November 9, 2003 6:59:43 PM]

"har har har, and a bottle of rum!!"

But apart from that you might want to try and drop by at a local uni or something. They usually have these student licences that allows them to make copies for their students. I don''t know if this stretches to people who want to use it for educational purposes outside their university, but you can give it a try.

Watcom just went Open Source. That was THE compiler in the early-to-mid 90''s for game development under DOS, but I''m not sure how useful it would be in the Windows world. But it might be worth a look. I think the IDE is even less buggy now than when it was a commercial product.

If your program uses Win32 stuff, either get the free borland compiler (BCC), or the personal edition of C++ BuilderX, or buy the student version fo Visual Studio 2003 Professional or Borland C++ BuilderX Professional (if you are a student) ...

If it''s not Windows specific, all the suggested compilers work fine (BCC is my favorite for that, but GCC, Dev-C++, MingGW, etc are all fine).

quote:
Original post by thedude
thanx a lot guys, that was a great help! What about Names? can I just call it "An Arkanoid Clone" or do I have to call it something unique?

Just make something up I tend to go to www.dictionary.com and start shoving together words-of-the-day until I get something suitably abstract..

”We hate to see a corporation of this country promote the U.N. when we know that it is an instrument of the Soviet Communist conspiracy.”
—San Francisco Chronicle

quote:

Repeat after me:

DEV-C++ IS NOT A COMPILER. IT IS AN IDE THAT USES GCC AS ITS COMPILER.

Repeat after me:

Dev-C++ does not use gcc as its compiler. It uses mingw, the windows port of gcc . Who cares! It's not the end of the world if someone says dev-c++ is a compiler. Getting back on topic, I'd say go with dev-c++. I, personally, use mingw raw-just because It's easier for cross-platform projects. I also have a copy of visual c++ .NET 03 standard, which is nice, but it doesn't optimize your code (which really annoyed me because it costed a $100)

[edited by - brassfish89 on November 15, 2003 8:26:34 PM]

quote:
Original post by brassfish89
quote:

Repeat after me:

DEV-C++ IS NOT A COMPILER. IT IS AN IDE THAT USES GCC AS ITS COMPILER.

Repeat after me:

Dev-C++ does not use gcc as its compiler. It uses mingw, the windows port of gcc . Who cares! It''s not the end of the world if someone says dev-c++ is a compiler. Getting back on topic, I''d say go with dev-c++. I, personally, use mingw raw-just because It''s easier for cross-platform projects. I also have a copy of visual c++ .NET 03 standard, which is nice, but it doesn''t optimize your code (which really annoyed me because it costed a $100)

[edited by - brassfish89 on November 15, 2003 8:26:34 PM]

Repeat after me:

Dev-C++ does not use MinGW, it uses MinGW by default.

Okay, sorry about being annoying. In any case, I''m pretty sure that if you go to the a Uni and use a copy of their compiler then it is under a student license and you cannot distribute it.

quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
quote:
Original post by thedude
thanx a lot guys, that was a great help! What about Names? can I just call it "An Arkanoid Clone" or do I have to call it something unique?

Just make something up I tend to go to www.dictionary.com and start shoving together words-of-the-day until I get something suitably abstract..

éh? give me an example of that =)

------

Catteeuw Pieter-Paul
[/I]
------