• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lyve

Getting the 3D coord from 2D coord at specified Z

This topic is 5509 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello members, I have a little problem. I want to draw a 3D object at a specified window position. So I convert the 2D point into a 3D point using gluUnproject. That works fine, except for one thing: The Z coord of my new 3D point is not the same as the Z coord that I pass as input. This results in the behaviour that I can''t control the zoom of the 3D object that I want to draw. The 3D object is smaller (or bigger) than I would expect. Is there any way how to compute a 3D point from a 2D point with a specified Z coordinate? Thanks for help, Lyve

Advertisement
one possibility is to find the point with the specified z coordinate on the line from the camera c to the unprojected point p:

a = point on line
a = c + t*(p - c)

now set the z-coordinate to your desired z=z0:

a.z = c.z + t*(p.z - c.z) = z0

you get for the parameter t:

t = (z0-c.z)/(p.z - c.z)

with this value of t you can calculate the point a with a.z = z0.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!