Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meshes - storing different surface properties (friction coeff, sound names etc..)

This topic is 5146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. We are working on a project that requires us to store different properties for each mesh. These would be (coefficient of friction, stiffness, sounds etc..) For example when you walk on grass and then walk on marble floor then you should hear two different sounds being played depending on the surface you''re walking on. Or another example when you walk on wet grass you can easily slip and fall over (friction) etc.. So all these properties I though of storing somehow for each mesh. For terrain you think I could stick all this information into each quadtree node? Or you think it is the best to ask my 3D artist to store all this into the 3D max mesh? Can you then easily read this stuff from 3D studio Max? if I did this way. Please let me know what is the most appropriate way of doing this and how it is implemented in latest games. Thanks so much for help in advace.

I just thought I''d point out that sticking the extra info in the quad/oc tree nodes is unwise. This would not give you a great deal of control over the individual variables at a particular region (unless all interfaces between differing regions were in line with the octrees axes). Why not get your artists to specify the differing regions as different "groups" in your model (subobjects). Its easy enough to load in 3DS files. Another alternative is this... usually the region with a particular set of parameters would have a special texture... so you could associate these parameters with the textures. Anyway, just a few ideas.