Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is blitting so slow on a TNT2?

This topic is 6364 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I went from a PII 266 to a PIII 733 with a TNT2 32MB graphics card. For some reason my application''s frame rate went from 25fps to 5fps! Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

my gfx card is a TNT2 32MB too.... my blitting is faster than ever... it must be some kind of driver prob

bye

------------------
Rasmus Neckelmann
phudze.cjb.net

Guest Anonymous Poster
it aint a driver problem, one of my computers has a TNT2-Ultra (32meg) and it blits almost as fast as my geforce(1) machine (ie the fps difference is negligable. The cpu and ram are the same on both machines, btw......)

unless you''re using some bong custom drivers (i am using nvidia reference drivers on both machines) it aint a driver problem! . nvidia are renowned for producing very high quality drivers.

Sphet: What brand is your TNT2 card? There are some cheapo TNT2 cards on the market that have inferior memory and are way slower than normal TNT2 cards.

Even if the card is slightly inferior, I am running a Guillemot TNT2 Ultra and I get about 10-12 fps running the same demo. I''m pretty sure my card is decent.

Clay

Hi,
I had the same problem.well the answer is easy,
I guess the Blt that u r performing is in someway a pixel more in dimension on some side.u r stretching the Buffer by a small value.The slowdown occurs only if the src buffer is huge.
Just set the destination blt as big as the src buffer.It should work,
hope this helps!

MetalWorx got me thinking..

And after looking through my code, in one place, I wasn''t specifically requesting that a surface be in system memory. Every frame I was copying data from video RAM to system RAM and then back again. Video RAM reads are really slow compared to writes, so that''s where the hit was coming from. It seems that the TNT2 has really slow video reads compared to other cards.

On my older machine, there wasn''t enough video ram for the back buffer, the front buffer and then this other area. For that reason it was always being created in system RAM.

Sorry to have been an alarmist.

Actually the TNT2 m64 is an absolute dog at blitting, from experiences here at work ( With DELL systems mind you ).
Taking out the TNT2 and switching to the onboard graphics adapter sped up the standard GDI blit by a factor of 4.

That makes you wonder why Dell considers these cards "upgrades" to your system.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.

It dosn''t sound like its a card problem but how your are enumerating the devices. The enumeration goes awry and your end up with software rasterization. Or it maybe a driver problem. Try the reference drivers from the company website.

Creativity -- Concept -- Code

Your game is nothing if you don't have all three.