3ds file format....

Started by
4 comments, last by phueppl1 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi Everybody... I''ve got the following problem: I''m writing a modelkonverter from .3ds to the modelformat of our game (Rarebyte''s Paradigm). Now the question: How are Animations saved in 3ds file format? I''m using the 3ds sfk for programming it ;-) thx in advance.. Phil
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
Advertisement
This is a good site that has many different file format specifications. I think it has one for .3ds file formats:

http://www.wotsit.org/

However, the 3ds file format is pretty complex. You might find it easier to get an app to translate the file to a format that is easier (ie Wavefront .obj) then read in this file.

thx for your post.

But it''s not that hard to do with the 3ds file kit. (It''s got "some" functions that load .3ds files into memory so that you''re able to acess it without getting worried about memory holes. ;-)
You just take from the database what you want and save it to an other file..(I already wrote the code for the basic mesh transport without animition)

I know it''s got something to do with so called "keyframes".
Well i''m 15 and from Austria. my E vocabulary is not that bad, but i don''t know what keyframes are.

Could anybody explain that to me?
Would be very nice.. thx.

Phil

Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
I almost forgot... I already read all of the 3 .3ds file descriptions on www.wotsit.com .

Phil
keyframes are kind of like waypoints that tell an animation from what position to travel from and to travel to. supposing you had 3 frames of animation, and you define the first frame to be the beginning of a punch, and the last frame, the end of a punch. the software should be able to interpolate the middle frame for the most convincing-looking animation sequence. (around the middle of the punch.) this can be adjusted with controls, but that''d be too advanced. now, if your real question had to do with how do you get keyframes to be read from the 3ds file format, i wouldn''t know. hopefully some of the format listings from wotsit.org help out a little. haven''t looked into it.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
ok, that helped, thx very much..

So if i transferred all of the keyframes into my new modelformat would they be close enough to make a nice animation without interpolating?

Phil

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement