Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wtf is a Mesh?

This topic is 5148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, can you please tell me what is a mesh exactly? I know it''s about textures. But, it''s not very obvious in my mind. So, can you give me explication about what is it exactly or simply give me links of docs on the web that explain it well. Thx ------------------------- Knowledge Is For Everyone SnowKing3k SnowKing3k@hotmail.com

More like the points of the corners of the triangles, but interconnected.

As far as I was aware it''s kind of like a blanket. it has an infinite amount of interconnected verticies, 3 verticies make up a triangle, and the triangles are connected to other triangles. Which make up a mesh, a collection of points which make an object or shape.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It was just that? But there''s another thing I don''t understand... :D in what can it be interesting in the development of a game? Why drawing mesh, cause I seen much of function that does that, why not drawing the textures???

thx for your explication

-------------------------
Knowledge Is For Everyone

SnowKing3k
SnowKing3k@hotmail.com

Well a model holds the vertex data and then uses them to draw the faces which could be triangles. I think not sure but, a mesh is what you would refer to as a series of connected vertices...

[edited by - NullPointer33 on November 9, 2003 5:26:29 PM]

THink of the mesh as the ''body'' of the model, and the texture/skin as the ''clothes''.

Member of the Un-Ban nes8bit Association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig)

We are at war with Iraq. We have always been at war with Iraq. I love Big Brother.
- DakeDesu

This is the way I look at things, please someone correct any errors.

Mesh: A group of connected triangles which make up a shape.

Object: A collection of meshes. 1 mesh would be the head, another the left arm, etc, depending upon how you divide it up for animation.

Material: A material is abstractly lain over the meshes and includes information about how each triangle should be drawn. Wireframe? What about the lighting information?

Texture: A texture is mapped over each vertice in the mesh. Texture and material are separate.

daveandrews.org - a Christian Programmer''s Weblog