Custom String Type Problem

Started by
3 comments, last by zealouselixir 20 years, 5 months ago
The following post concerns Visual C++.NET. The initialization function of a particular class takes a reference to a String (my custom string type). When I try to make the following call: SomeClass AnObject("Blah.ext"); where the SomeClass constructor declaration looks like this: SomeClass (String &Filename); , I get this error: cannot convert parameter 1 from ''char [9]'' to ''String &'' Now, the String class has a constructor that looks like this: String(const char *Source); , but apparently something is different enough between a static char array and a const char pointer that the conversion can''t be implicitly made. BUT, if I explicitly cast the parameter to a string type, like so: SomeClass AnObject(String("Blah.ext")); , it compiles and runs just fine, but I get this warning: nonstandard extension used : ''argument'' : conversion from ''String'' to ''String &'' , which seems weird, since I obviously intended to pass by reference, and it seems that the reference should be created implicitly and passed without any sort of concern. SO, here''s the question: How can I modify the constructors of my String function to correctly create a string from a char[] that can be passed by reference without casting or warning-laden reference creation. I realize it''s a mouthful. Thanks for any pointers you can provide. Later, ZE. //email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Advertisement
Someclass( const String& thestring)

SomeClass(const String& fileName);
quote:
Someclass( const String& thestring)

damn you beat me! anyways my code will work, urs will not, you forgot the ";"
Thanks guys. Should''ve seen that.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement