Does anyone know any isometric engine programmed in java?

Started by
10 comments, last by redarcher 20 years, 5 months ago
I was just wondering, if there was some sort of an isometric engine that was programmed in java. I need to take a close look at it, and mabye get a rough idea for designing my own engine. um..Even if it''s in mediocre form or just has bad gfx. I''m working on several projects this year, at UBC as a java programmer, and another project in gamedev.net. As for the game me and 3 other people are working on, I don''t want to program an engine from scratch. Tho, I need to. So I need to take a look at one and not use it, but see the structure it''s made in. If anyone can help me out, that would be great! Thanx. My email is: tumpynobusi@hotmail.com Java Network Programmer.
Advertisement
The 'Articles & Resources' section has plenty of good articles describing how to program isometric games (just look in the isometric and tile based games section). Although the articles are primarily written with C/C++ examples, the basic concepts they present apply to any language (like how to calculate mouse to world co-ordinates, tile organization, etc). If you've got a good handle on Java, it shouldn't be too difficult to follow along with the examples.

If nothing else a quick search of google for 'Java Isometric Engine' turned up a good number of hits.

[edited by - SysOp_1101 on November 9, 2003 6:42:04 PM]
SysOp_1101
thanx
I appreciate your help!

[edited by - redarcher on November 9, 2003 6:44:43 PM]
Hows about Planetation?
? What is that?
Just a word of advice, don''t use java.

It''s interpreted, so its gonna go MUCH slower than if you programmed it in C++ or even VB.
Regards,Ross
I need to tho, our project is already 30% started,
and it''s all programmed in java2, so I can''t stop
now and then program it all later in a different language.
Besides, my crew, they''re all specialized in java programming.
I''m the only one who knows c++! so yeh. Otherwise I would
program it in c++. I prefer java much better tho, I''m more comferetable with it.
quote:Original post by toogle
Just a word of advice, don''t use java.

It''s interpreted, so its gonna go MUCH slower than if you programmed it in C++ or even VB.

And a word of advice for you - don''t give out advice based on myths Java is no longer interpreted when using a JIT compiler. Much of the bytecode gets compiled to native instructions at runtime. Performance can equal and even exceed that of C++ for some parts of an app (because runtime compilation has the benefit of having more information available to make certain optimizations). And when Java is slower than C++, it is not *MUCH*. Take a look at games like Alien Flux, Tribal Trouble, YoHoHo! Puzzle Pirates, Magicosm, Wurm Online, and many more if you don''t believe me

To the OP, taking existing isometric tutorials from other languages and applying them to Java is not a problem. However, graphics programming in Java is much different with regards to setup and actual rendering, if you use the built in API (volatile vs. normal images, the fullscreen API, etc...). Using things like LWJGL or JOGL to get OpenGL functionality is much more familiar. I''d suggest you hop on over to javagaming.org and check out the forums there. They can help you with whatever approach you decide to take. You might even find someone with an Iso engine.

Thre''s one at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jisoman
Thanx everyone! this helped quite a bit.
I have another project, I''m working on in the meantime.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement