Ok I've learned the things in c++ recommended for making games

Started by
10 comments, last by Colossus1308 20 years, 5 months ago
Where do i go from here? I''ve learned Funtions, arrays, structures, classes, pointers, amoung many other things. MAde some progrms with them and can do them pretty well, here is my question to you guys? where do i learn graphics on c++ and stuff? or just starting to make games on c++ can u guys tell me? send me links? thanks!
---Tim
Advertisement
well for games you need to learn either openGL or Direct X, personally I like OpenGL but its your call...
Oh, no one told you about the most important part? Try learning to think for yourself. Its great. While your at it look into SDL or allegro. Google is your friend.

[edited by - sagwagon on November 9, 2003 10:00:42 PM]
Basically what you need to do is learn a graphics API. ShadowHunter has mentioned the two main ones, OpenGL and the graphics component(s) of DirectX, but there are others that are probably better for beginners. SDL is popular, and I''ve heard good things about Allegro (Allegro community site).

From looking at the front pages of the websites for these APIs, they can seem a bit daunting. The trick is to find some good tutorials or a good book that will guide you through the process of setting up your compiler and putting together some simple programs. Personally, I used the NeHe tutorials to quickly jump into OpenGL.
...I personally think you should try to make a complete game before learning an API. Tetris can be done well in text mode.
"Neque enim lex est aequior ulla, quam necis artifices arte perire sua."
Data + Algorithms = Programs! Play with Data and Algorthms!

Wizza Wuzza?
quote:Original post by Tisephone
...I personally think you should try to make a complete game before learning an API. Tetris can be done well in text mode.
But then, you could make Tetris with only the most rudimentary knowledge of any API.

Incidentally, this article from the For Beginners section provides a very good path for starting to learn game development, and Tetris is the suggested first step.
Thanks for the info guys!
---Tim
I would suggest you make some sort of semi turn based text base game. Something with simple commands, and make it very short, but try to include some from of an AI, even the dumbest AI will help you think in terms of how to make your programs.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I suspect that you probably don''t have as good of a grasp on C++ as you think you do. In addition to being familiar with various constructs and elements, you should also know a bit about algorithms and datastructures (ie: the STL). After you''re familiar with that, I suggest picking up Code Complete, a really useful reference regarding software construction. It will tell you how to plan and structure your projects.

When you do decide to tackle a graphics API, I suggest you familiarize yourself with the inner-workings of it (in a general sense). Knowing how to use an API is one thing, but if you know how the API works at a lower level you can more effectively troubleshoot when problems arise (this means not looking at OpenGL or Direct3D or whatever you use in some superficial manner; like some magical blackbox that does everything for you).

In summation, go over your C++ book to see if there''s anything you missed (if you had to enumerate the various elements of the language you know, ending with "etc," you probably don''t know it well enough) and learn how to use the standard library and the STL. Then when you''ve got a grasp on those things tackle a high level graphics API, but never let it blind you to what''s going on inside the computer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement