• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Logic

Can I use DirectX using C only?

This topic is 5362 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Or...do I have to bite the C++ bullet? If I need to learn C++ quickly enough to do Directx, will "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo bring me up to speed? FWIW I have been using C for years, and I know enough Java to do simple games and animation. But now I want to do DirectX! Capt Logic

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Captain Logic
Or...do I have to bite the C++ bullet?

If I need to learn C++ quickly enough to do Directx, will "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo bring me up to speed?

FWIW I have been using C for years, and I know enough Java to do simple games and animation.

But now I want to do DirectX!

Capt Logic

I haven''t learned DirectX yet but Accelerated C++ would be good if it''s necessary for DirectX. I read that after programmming in C for a while.

1. The easiest thing to do is write C style code in a CPP file and compile it as C++ - just think of the COM calls as calls to a function pointer (the method) stored in a structure (the interface). Your program doesn''t need to use any classes or be at all object oriented to use DirectX.

2. Read the following part of the SDK docs:
Introducing DirectX 9.0 ->
Using the DirectX SDK ->
Programming DirectX with C/C++ ->
Using COM ->
Using C to Access COM Objects

That tells you how to call the COM objects from C specifying the v-table/this pointer explicitly.

3. Additionally read:

Introducing DirectX 9.0 ->
Using the DirectX SDK ->
Programming DirectX with C/C++ ->
Using COM ->
Using macros to Call DirectX COM Methods

That tells you about the helper macros for use with C which do the v-table stuff for you.

4. The rest of that "Programming DirectX with C/C++" section is probably worth a read too if you''re new to DirectX programming.

5. Older versions of the SDK had a few samples written in C so if you''ve got a reasonable connection it might be worth downloading say the DirectX 7 SDK to look over the samples (still use DX9, just copy the programming "style" from the DX7 samples).

--
Simon O''Connor
3D Game Programmer &
Microsoft DirectX MVP

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!