Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diffuse lighting not working with FX5600

This topic is 5145 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by y2kiah
I recently switched from the TI4400 to the FX5600 and now diffuse lighting doesn''t seem to be working. I have the 6.14.10.4523 drivers. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

no. i also have a geforce fx 5600, and lighting works at me with detonator 45.23. You must be doing something wrong. post the code.

It''s always possible that your original code was in fact buggy, and the GeForce4 drivers just so happened to accept it. Did you test your code on anything else than the GF4? Most of the time such "driver" issues turn out to be bad code.

- JQ

Ok, I didn''t say it was a driver issue. The problem I''m having is if it''s buggy code I would have spotted it by now or I never will, plus the code agrees completely with what''s in the OpenGL Superbible and it isn''t lengthy at all, very simple. Ambient lighting is working fine, but the diffuse isn''t showing up. I''ll play around with it some more.

actually I found the problem, and it wasn''t with my lighting setup. I ran into a tricky c++ issue and I''m glad I did.

I had recently made some changes to my Point3D class and I thought it was safe, but as it turns out something strange was happening. When I made the copy constructor private to keep the compiler from automatically making a copy behind my back, the cross-product operator I had written was now written wrong. It was returning a local variable, and I hadn''t spotted it before because the compiler was being nice and making an extra copy for me and returning that. I changed it to create a new point in the return and my normals went back to .... normal. So through this I''ve made my point class a little more solid and optimized.