Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

start-up console

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hallo everybody. I''ve got a question(hope You can help me)- Surely many of You have played games such quake3 or alice and noticed the small console printing out infos that appears as soon as program start(it prints infos about client/renderer initialization and so on). In my projects I''ve always used AllocConsole function to create a similar one and then displaying it at program launch (sending text using _cprintf). I imagine this is not the optimal way to do it(even if it works well enough),so I''d like to know if someone has any idea of the way used by "real" game engines to create one. I was unable to find infos or code around the web(just AllocConsole was quoted in creating a console under win32), so if You could give some hints or maybe tell me where to find infos or better show me the way it would be very kind of You. Hope not to bother You, Many Thanks. Saberman

If you are wanting a "quake like console" you might want to read this article:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/ddconsole/, which believe it or not, is located on this very site in the articles section

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]

[edited by - drakonite on November 10, 2003 6:09:18 AM]

The start-up console and the in-game console are two different things.
To me, it looks like the start-up console is just a window with two textboxes on it. One of them is a large multi-line box with a vertical scrollbar that shows whatever text and the other is a small single-line box at the bottom of the window that takes input from the user. Its just like any other window creating using the win API (see CreateWindow and all the other GUI functions)

In other words, it isn't a console, it is just a standard window they use to fake a console (maybe because quake 3 also runs on linux and they had a portable window library?)

[edited by - extrarius on November 10, 2003 2:42:09 PM]

Many thanks Extrarius(and of course to Drakonite for the reply),
that''s just what is the problem.
Not a standard console but just the small window at start up.

I thought to such a possibility, but I was not sure,
so in Your opinion it could be a "standard window" used to display info.
Using a dialog-box(maybe trying to call DialogBox,
or CreateDialog with a NULL HWND, ''cause we actually haven''t a parent window...)will work?(I''ll try...),

I''d like to know if You or some other have further information about this subject.

Many Thanks.

Saberman

The window is usually used for when you start a dedicated server and don''t actually go into the game itself.
AFAIK Extrarius is correct in that it''s just a normal window with different colours. I only have an ingame console as there''s no such thing as a dedicated server for my game.

hey! this was my question for the day! i wanted something scrollable that i could use to get all the hwnd and junk! so AllocConsole? is there any trick to get text back from that little bar thats on the botom? (i''m at uni and will have to try this later on) it could be fun to play with.

I just wanna get this done.