Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrain texturing methods

This topic is 5152 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I''m busy with the problem of landscape texturing at the moment and I''m wondering how it was organized in Age Of Mythology, for example. All the ideas about topic have come into my head are: 1. Multitexturing. This means that we use hardware texture layers to render tile transitions. Well, that''s look rather fine, but hardware-limited 8(... 2. Multipassing. The same, but we use one pass per tile-type transitions. Speed is poor... 3. Rendering to texture. Well, that''s good for RTS as WC3, when camera orientation is fixed and we can generate 1024x1024 texture with further it''s mapping upon visible area... This will cause low FPS while camera moving... I don''t know which of these or some other algos to choose for the game with continious camera scrolling. I''ll be glad to discuss this problem.

I'm currently working on a similar thing. I'm trying to texture a heightmapped terrain. I'm most likely going to use option 3. Rendering to texture. I'm going to try to reduce the lag of moving the camera by rendering the texture for the regions around the outside of the screen as much as possible. My only concern is using up too much video memory. 1024*1024*32bits = 4 megabytes. I was thinking of switching to 16bits or 24 bits to reduce texture sizes to 2 or 3 megs.

EDIT: I'm working on an RTS so the camera height and angle will be fixed.

[edited by - SiliconMunky on November 10, 2003 12:23:24 PM]

Even the Voodoos support multitexturing. The only "cards" I can think of that don''t are crappy integrated chips, but seriously, those are going to be too slow to run at a decent speed in the first place.

There still is a huge difference, between 2 tex-units and 8 tex-units

Mixing Multitexturing and Multipassing sounds okay if you need more than 2 textures.
But maybe I should try to get it working myself first, just need to find some extra time somewhere...