Cartoon-Style Rendering

Started by
3 comments, last by Les_Paul 23 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone have any info on cartoon-style rendering? I think it''s also known as "Non photorealistic rendering" (NPR). I''ve seen some really impressive still images and a few really cool video clips, and there are a few 3D-Studio plug-ins that will do it, also. But I haven''t been able to find any info on how it works... I''d like to be able to do it in Direct3D or OpenGL.
Advertisement
I''m no expert, but I believe most of it deals with finding edges and limiting the amount of shading from lighting. For the previous you might want to check out some articles on shadow [volume] rendering, since there''s a lot of edge finding behind the method. Also, I think there was a newsbit on OpenGL.org about NPR rendering. You might have to look a few weeks back.

----Sonic Silicon----
There''s some info on NVidia''s site under the developer area.

nathany.com
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/quake3/honey/honey.shtml describes a method. A little different then the finding the edges method, but doubles the polygon count of your model. I suppose this method would be best on systems with slow CPUs and fast T&L/rasterizing hardware, as most of the work done at runtime would be done in translation and rasterization. Vs the edge finding method which would need to be done by the CPU.
go to darwin3d.com and see the shiznit that jeff lander wrote in gdmag (and get the code).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement