Alpha value in rgb

Started by
6 comments, last by Gresc 20 years, 5 months ago
what is wrong with this? what i am trying to do is get rid of the black parts of images by converting the rgb value of an images to rgba but it wont work, my code is below

LoadBMP(char* filename, GLfloat minFilter, GLfloat maxFilter)
	{
	FILE* file;									//The file pointer

BITMAPFILEHEADER	file_header;			//The bitmap file header

BITMAPINFOHEADER	info_header;
	int					imageIdx = 0;			//Image index counter

unsigned char		tempRGB;				//Swap variable

//Open filename in read only binary mode

file= fopen(filename, "rb");
	if(file==NULL)
		{
		return false;
		}

//Read the bitmap file header

fread(&file_header, sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER), 1, file);

//Confirm that this is a bitmap by checking for the universal bitmap id

if(file_header.bfType != BITMAP_ID)
		{
		fclose(file);
		return false;
		}

//Read the bitmap information header in

fread(&info_header, sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER), 1, file);

//Advance the file pointer to the beginning of the bitmap data

fseek(file, file_header.bfOffBits, SEEK_SET);

//Allocate the bitmap image data

data= new unsigned char [info_header.biSizeImage];

//Confirm memory allocation

if(!data)
		{
		free(data);
		fclose(file);
		return false;
		}

//Read in the bitmap image data

fread(data, 1, info_header.biSizeImage, file);

//Make sure bitmap image data was read

if(data==NULL)
		{
		fclose(file);
		return false;
		}

width = info_header.biWidth;
	height= info_header.biWidth;
	bpp	  = info_header.biBitCount;

//Swap the R and B values to get RGB since the bitmap color format is in BGR

for(imageIdx = 0; imageIdx<(int)info_header.biSizeImage; imageIdx+=3)
		{
		tempRGB			= data[imageIdx];
		data[imageIdx]  = data[imageIdx + 2];
		data[imageIdx+2]= tempRGB;
		}

int w = width;int h = height;

// this the old image with rgb data

// Alloc new buffer for rgba imageuchar 

unsigned char *rgba_data = new unsigned char[w*h*4]; 
  // this will be the new image with alpha channel

for (int x=0; x<w; x++){  for(int y=0; y<h; y++)
    {    // Copy the rgb values from rgb_data to rgba_data    

int p =y*w+h; 

rgba_data[p*4+0] = data[p*3+0];
        rgba_data[p*4+1] = data[p*3+1];
            rgba_data[p*4+2] = data[p*3+2];    // Now set alpha channel full visible by default    

unsigned char alpha = 255;    // If color is full black then set alpha to invisible (zero)       

if (data[p*3+0]==0 && data[p*3+1]==0 && data[p*3+2]==0) alpha = 0;    rgba_data[p*4+3] = alpha;  }}

//Close the file and return the bitmap image data

fclose(file);

//Build A Texture From The Data

glGenTextures(1, &ID);						//Generate OpenGL texture IDs

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, ID);			//Bind the texture to a texture object 

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, minFilter);	//Filtering for if texture is bigger than should be

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, maxFilter);	//Filtering for if texture is smaller than it should be

if(bpp==32)
		bpp=GL_RGBA;

if(bpp==24)									//Was the TGA 24 bpp?

bpp=GL_RGB;							

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, bpp, width, height, 0, bpp, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data);

return true;
	}
Advertisement
You''ve created a 32-bit RGBA image from your 24-bit RGB image, but you are still passing the bitmap''s bpp to glTexImage2D. Try forcing bpp to GL_RGBA.
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, 4, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, rgba_data);
quote:Original post by stefu
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, width, height, 0, 4, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, rgba_data);

4 is not a valid format. I assume you meant GL_RGBA.
quote:Original post by Brother Bob
quote:Original post by stefu

4 is not a valid format. I assume you meant GL_RGBA.

I think he meant
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 4, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, rgba_data); 

[edited by - Dave Hunt on November 11, 2003 2:24:20 AM]
ok problem, when i uses stefu one i can see the quads but no images (when i know the images work when i just used a the normal loadbmp function) but when i try dave hunt''s one i get nothing, just a black screen, not even any quads, ahs anyonew got any suggesitons?
ok if i use the source below (something i made up on my own using code guven to my us guys i get the images back, no change witht he black pixels, and will a blue tinge over the images (the tinge gets darker as the slpha value is increased)
does anyone know what i am doing wrong, please i really need help with this
#include "Texture.h"#define BITMAP_ID 0x4D42//------------------------------------------------------------------////------------------------------------------------------------------////- DEFINITIONS ----------------------------------------------------////------------------------------------------------------------------////------------------------------------------------------------------////------------------------------------------------------------------////- bool LoadTGA(char*, GLfloat, GLfloat) --------------------------////------------------------------------------------------------------////- Description: This function loads a truevision TARGA into the   -////-				 TEXTURE class object that it represents.		   -////------------------------------------------------------------------////- Big thanks to NeHe for this one								   -////------------------------------------------------------------------//bool TEXTURE::	LoadTGA(char* filename, GLfloat minFilter, GLfloat maxFilter)		{    	GLubyte		TGAheader[12]={0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0};	//Uncompressed TGA header	GLubyte		TGAcompare[12];					//Used to compare TGA header	GLubyte		header[6];						//The first six useful bytes from the header	GLuint		bytesPerPixel;					//Holds the bpp of the TGA	GLuint		imageSize;						//Used to store image size while in RAM	GLuint		temp;							//Temp variable	GLuint		type=GL_RGBA;					//Set the default OpenGL mode to RBGA (32 BPP)	FILE* file = fopen(filename, "rb");			// Open The TGA File	if(file==NULL													   ||	// Does File Even Exist?	   fread(TGAcompare,1,sizeof(TGAcompare),file)!=sizeof(TGAcompare) ||	// Are There 12 Bytes To Read?	   memcmp(TGAheader,TGAcompare,sizeof(TGAheader))!=0			   ||	// Does The Header Match What We Want?	   fread(header,1,sizeof(header),file)!=sizeof(header))					// If So Read Next 6 Header Bytes		{		if(file==NULL)							// Did The File Even Exist? *Added Jim Strong*			{			return false;										}		else			{			fclose(file);						// If anything failed, close the file			return false;									}		}	width = header[1] * 256 + header[0];		// Determine The TGA Width	(highbyte*256+lowbyte)	height= header[3] * 256 + header[2];		// Determine The TGA Height	(highbyte*256+lowbyte)     	if(width	<=0	||							// Is The Width Less Than Or Equal To Zero	   height<=0	||							// Is The Height Less Than Or Equal To Zero		(header[4]!=24 && header[4]!=32))		// Is The TGA 24 or 32 Bit?		{		fclose(file);							// If Anything Failed, Close The File		return false;									}	bpp	 = header[4];							// Grab The TGA''s Bits Per Pixel (24 or 32)	bytesPerPixel= bpp/8;						// Divide By 8 To Get The Bytes Per Pixel	imageSize	 = width*height*bytesPerPixel;	// Calculate The Memory Required For The TGA Data	data= new GLubyte [imageSize];				// Reserve Memory To Hold The TGA Data	if(data==NULL ||							// Does The Storage Memory Exist?	   fread(data, 1, imageSize, file)!=imageSize)	// Does The Image Size Match The Memory Reserved?		{		if(data!=NULL)							// Was Image Data Loaded			free(data);							// If So, Release The Image Data				fclose(file);							// Close The File		return false;							// Return False		}	for(GLuint i=0; i<int(imageSize); i+=bytesPerPixel)		// Loop Through The Image Data		{										// Swaps The 1st And 3rd Bytes (''R''ed and ''B''lue)		temp	 =data[i];						// Temporarily Store The Value At Image Data ''i''		data[i]	 = data[i + 2];					// Set The 1st Byte To The Value Of The 3rd Byte		data[i+2]= temp;						// Set The 3rd Byte To The Value In ''temp'' (1st Byte Value)		}	fclose (file);								//Close the file	// Build A Texture From The Data	glGenTextures(1, &ID);						//Generate OpenGL texture IDs	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, ID);			//Bind the texture to a texture object 	glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, minFilter);	//Filtering for if texture is bigger than should be	glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, maxFilter);	//Filtering for if texture is smaller than it should be		if(bpp==24)									//Was the TGA 24 bpp?		type=GL_RGB;								glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, type, width, height, 0, type, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data);	return true;	}//------------------------------------------------------------------////- bool LoadBMP(char*, GLfloat, GLfloat) --------------------------////------------------------------------------------------------------////- Description: This function loads a Windows Bitmap into the	   -////-				 TEXTURE class object that it represents.		   -////------------------------------------------------------------------////- Big thanks to NeHe for this one								   -////------------------------------------------------------------------//bool TEXTURE::	LoadBMP(char* filename, GLfloat minFilter, GLfloat maxFilter)	{	FILE* file;									//The file pointer	BITMAPFILEHEADER	file_header;			//The bitmap file header	BITMAPINFOHEADER	info_header;	int					imageIdx = 0;			//Image index counter	unsigned char		tempRGB;				//Swap variable	//Open filename in read only binary mode	file= fopen(filename, "rb");	if(file==NULL)		{		return false;		}	//Read the bitmap file header	fread(&file_header, sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER), 1, file);		//Confirm that this is a bitmap by checking for the universal bitmap id	if(file_header.bfType != BITMAP_ID)		{		fclose(file);		return false;		}	//Read the bitmap information header in	fread(&info_header, sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER), 1, file);	//Advance the file pointer to the beginning of the bitmap data	fseek(file, file_header.bfOffBits, SEEK_SET);	//Allocate the bitmap image data	data= new unsigned char [info_header.biSizeImage];	//Confirm memory allocation	if(!data)		{		free(data);		fclose(file);		return false;		}	//Read in the bitmap image data	fread(data, 1, info_header.biSizeImage, file);	//Make sure bitmap image data was read	if(data==NULL)		{		fclose(file);		return false;		}		width = info_header.biWidth;	height= info_header.biWidth;	bpp	  = info_header.biBitCount;unsigned char alpha=100;	//Swap the R and B values to get RGB since the bitmap color format is in BGR	for(imageIdx = 0; imageIdx<(int)info_header.biSizeImage; imageIdx+=3)		{		tempRGB			= data[imageIdx];		data[imageIdx]  = data[imageIdx + 2];		data[imageIdx+2]= tempRGB;		  if (data[imageIdx]==0 && data[imageIdx+1]==0 && data[imageIdx+2]==0)              alpha = 0;		data[imageIdx+3] = alpha;		}				//Close the file and return the bitmap image data	fclose(file);	//Build A Texture From The Data	glGenTextures(1, &ID);						//Generate OpenGL texture IDs	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, ID);			//Bind the texture to a texture object 		glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, minFilter);	//Filtering for if texture is bigger than should be	glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, maxFilter);	//Filtering for if texture is smaller than it should be		if(bpp==32)		bpp=GL_RGBA;	if(bpp==24)									//Was the TGA 24 bpp?		bpp=GL_RGB;							glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, bpp, width, height, 0, bpp, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data);	return true;	}
Go back to your original code with my suggested change.

Where you have:

int p =y*w+h;  

Change it to:

int p =y*w+x; // note the 'x' in place of the 'h'  

Your new code is trying to treat a w*h*3 memory buffer as a w*h*4 buffer. Also, once you've set alpha to 0, it never gets set back to 100.

[edited by - Dave Hunt on November 11, 2003 10:35:36 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement