• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zenthar

3DStudio MAX exporter

This topic is 5436 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I want to make an exporter for 3dStudioMax, but I really don''t know where to start. Anyone got a good place to start? -Zenthar

Advertisement
If you mean a .max/.gmax exporter, then you are in bad luck, those formats are propietary on the whole meaning of the word, there are no specs available, 3ds Max seems to be the only app capable of using them, on top of that, jugding by the way Max handles things (using a transformation stack, which you would have to hack), I doubt it is an easy, even posible task, otherwhise, there would be lots of exporter/importers available.

If you mean .3ds files, there is a tutorial on loading those in www.gametutorials.com, look under OpenGL tutorials, or do a search for the .3ds file spec. on google.

Aeon Games

I''m curently trying to do exactly the same thing, try these sites:-

www.cyberloonies.com

sparks.discreet.com

There is a max sdk which has a plugin wizard for creating exporters in Vissual C++

Good luck if you find out a good way/path to do this could you email me. Because I am a novice and haveing loads of problems doing this.

The best place to start are the 3ds max SDK docs, plus it helps if you can play with max a lot to get a feel how it handles various components. If you have specific questions on some of the subtleties (after checking the docs & the above websites) you can probably get good answers here.

not hard. i'm writing one together with my engine and i use it to export objects into my own format. just use the wizard and add the export code. the main difficulty is that max sdk documentation is really messy and its hard to find what you really need.

sorry i wrote a really wrong reply with lots of useful info, but then i pressed backspace and everything was gone if you need info on something just ask

[edited by - Arcibald Wearlot on November 10, 2003 12:30:01 PM]

Of interest might be the new IGame interfaces which promise to take away all the ugly code of MAX SDK. The IGame interface has been created for the sole purpose of data export. I am currently looking at a few possibilities.

1) Use the IGame interface.
2) Use the Max SDK plugin wizard.
3) Use Microsofts .x exporter to do the exporting and then make a converter to convert/extract the info i need.

Of the options, 3 seems to be the easiest since .x is just a text file and Microsoft has done all the work of writing a plugin for you(You can be sure it will be updated supporting newer features of MAX). But i cant seem to get the .X plugin to compile currently.

the new IGameInterface is nothing else than wrapped some of the most game relevant stuff together,in one interface... this doesn''t make it easier.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

I''d recommend doing your exporter in Maxscript instead of using the SDK. The documentation for Max''s SDK is pretty painful.

Having said that, if you''re hell-bent on doing an exporter with the SDK you should check out the TechDocs section at http://sparks.discreet.com They have a tutorial on doing a basic exporter plugin.

-John

I''m also a newbie who is trying to do this for my University final year project. I think that the MAX SDK is best for me and what I want to achevie.

.............Arcibald Wearlot..................

What you have done is exactly what I want to do. I have tryed useing the MAX SDK wizzard but I get a build error something like "can not find build.obj". Do you know where in Vissual studio I have gone wrong? And do you have any other advice for geting through the MAX SDK documentation?

quote:
Original post by caios
I''m also a newbie who is trying to do this for my University final year project. I think that the MAX SDK is best for me and what I want to achevie.

.............Arcibald Wearlot..................

What you have done is exactly what I want to do. I have tryed useing the MAX SDK wizzard but I get a build error something like "can not find build.obj". Do you know where in Vissual studio I have gone wrong? And do you have any other advice for geting through the MAX SDK documentation?

I''m just curious, but why is it that you think the SDK is the best for what you want to achieve?

I certainly don''t mean to downplay the SDK...you can certainly do some cool things with it. However, for an exporter, you can do pretty much anything you need to do with Maxscript and it''ll be a whole lot easier. On top of that, if you do find that there''s something missing in Maxscript for your exporter you can write a plugin, using the SDK, to provide new functions and classes to Maxscipt.

FWIW, I''ve written exporters for Max for commercial game development both with Maxscript and with the Max SDK and honestly, I think Maxscript is the way to go. If you were doing a Material plugin, then I''d urge you to go the other way and use the SDK. But for an exporter, Maxscript is perfect.

Just tryin'' to save you some time and hassle

-John

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!