What the hell, I thought that was private!?

Started by
18 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 20 years, 5 months ago
quote:
It makes sense, you the class author are fully in control of all private violations between instances of your own class, so it doesn''t violate encapsulation. Java, and likely most OO languages, are the same way.

Yea, that does make a whole helluva lot of sense when you put it that way. Thanks!
Advertisement
as the Arild Fines post mentions, there are cases where you want to use a function to access the member anyway ... but here''s the key ...

getter and setter functions are like any other function and may have (intentional) side effects ... so using or not using them, is just like calling any other internal helper function to do certain parts of the job ... and in some cases it''s correct (for instance if the setter provided profiling of how often the items interal value changed), but in other''s would be wrong (for instance if the setter provided logging of when the user requested such changes - I know this sounds silly, but just assume you are writing to a log to track usage of the public interface ... and the getter and setting are public ... you don''t want the log logging a "setter" call for each member set during a constructor do you ... not usually) ..

so like always, you have to think sometimes even to make this silly little decision ...

usually I access values directly, UNTIL I add side effect code to the getter/setter methods ... then at that point (and not before) I perform a code audit through each use or set of the value, and change some to use the setter ... but this has only really happened to me twice ... so that''s why I don''t use them to start with, why spend work up front to save on maintenece you most likely won''t have anyway ... if it becomes a maintence issue, use the refactoring pattern arild refered to ... but only IF it becomes a factor - don''t assume it will before hand.
using get/set methods that are inlined is the same thing as accessing the variable directly.

ie:
class myclass{   int x;   public: inline void getX() { return x; }   public: void doSomething()   {     x = 10;      // same as...     getX() = 10; // this   }}; 
wooops major typo by me AP above, the get method should look like this:
inline int& getX() { return x; } 
Aww man! That kinda sux. Take a look at this:
class C{   private:      int *arr, len;   public:      C(){ len=0; malloc(arr,sizeof(int)*len); }      void add(int i){         len++;         realloc(arr,sizeof(int)*len);         arr[len-1]=i;      }      void RuinItAll(C *c){         realloc(c->arr,sizeof(int)*1);      }};

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate of everyone drops to zero"
- Fight Club
Emil Johansen- SMMOG AI designerhttp://smmog.com
However - getter and setter functions would only be in the way in this case:
class C{private:   string s;public:   C(string s){ this->s=s; }   inline void SetS(string s){ this->s=s; }   inline string GetS(){ return s; }};

Nothing else is done in the getter / setter than setting / getting the target variable. In this case I would just make the variable public and throw away the getter and setter:
class C{public:   string s;   C(string s){ this->s=s; }};
Emil Johansen- SMMOG AI designerhttp://smmog.com
quote:inline int& getX() { return x; }

Did you mean for this to be both a get and a set method?

int i = obj.getX(); // get X
obj.getX() = 666; // set X

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting
ALWAYS make sure your getters are const ... then you won''t make thats mistake ...

inline int& getX() { return x; }// should be constinline int& getX() const { return x; }// is invalid for const reasons ...// so only these twoinline const int& getX() const { return x; }inline int getX() const { return x; }// are valid

and remember, for primitive types it is more efficient to return the value than the reference ... and nobody''s syntax using it needs to change, so choose the second option above for this case.
quote:inline const int& getX() const { return x; }inline int getX() const { return x; }// are valid

and remember, for primitive types it is more efficient to return the value than the reference ... and nobody's syntax using it needs to change, so choose the second option above for this case.

Yes, but as was discussed in another thread recently, the const-ness can be cast away by a well-meaning programmer that's trying to be clever:

const_cast<int &>(f.geti()) = 666;

I like your final suggestion - return a copy of the int, not a reference (even a const one) to it.

As an aside, if you notice that certain classes are always twiddling with the private members of another class, it's a good sign that a refactoring is in order. Perhaps the "twiddler" and "twiddlee" need to be merged.

EDIT: Stupid source tags!

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting

[edited by - dmikesell on November 12, 2003 10:31:50 AM]
the fact that constness can be cast doesn''t affect anythign ...

one the one side casting the constness away inside the function, this allows one to internalally do things which are not const (effectively lying to the user - but since this code is in the class, that is within your rights), the better solution for that is use mutable for the members that may be changes in const functions ... such as access counts or profiling objects.

casting away const in the client (caller) of the function is also not an issue, as that caller has raw memory access into your object as well ... so they can crash anything they want to if they so choose, but that is beyond your domain to worry about ... If you are worried about hacker like in your example, you must first realize that they have accesss to yhe header file, and therefore complete knowledge about the memory layout of your object ... so any protections of access in C++ are only for user''s on good behavior ... not actual security level protections.

the point of const, is that the compiler doesn''t allow users to modify const objects WITHOUT KNOWING they are modifying the object.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement