Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D Isometric Game Programming

This topic is 5152 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently using a 3rd party 3d engine to create a 3d isometric game, which is prving to be a challenge. I am currently building the system that will handle the "isometric" aspect of the game, i.e. the system that will handle snapping 3d objects to a grid. The biggest challenge seems to be in creating the walls. I was planning them to be 3d, put really don''t know what would be the best way to do this. I could use a bunch of 3d models and place them all right next to eachother, but the amount of models might slow the computers down. 2D sprites was an idea I had but I am wondering how good or bad these would look in a 3d environment. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Anonymous Poster
well, why dont you just give a try? i dont know what engine youre using, but it should be able to handle some walls (when loaded into vertex buffer, the walls are all equal so there shouldnt be too much lags)

Personaly I am going with hardcoded 3d "per tile" models for walls, doors and roofs, I have not yet started implementing this on my engine, but its the next think I am adding.

I see it this way, if I build a whole building as a 3d model I just drop into the scene, I will have to come up with harder collision detection calculations, code any movable parts (opening and closing doors) down to the "bones", where as in a tiled world, you either hit an unwalkable tile or not, you either play the "Open Door" animation or the "Clossing door" animation ("Open door" backwards?), no need to find out what door you need to open and its bone, and then rotate it.

also remember you can save some triangles by implementing occlusion , so you wont ve drawing the 6 triangles on the sides, back and bottom of a wall thats between 2 other "wall tiles" if they''re not visible, only the 2 in front and the 2 on top.

Aeon Games