Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winsock or directplay?

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Personally I''d use winsock, but direct play does provide "chatroom" facilities. Personally I like to steer clear of Microsoft API''s and if youre planning on porting your game to *nix, It would be much easier if youre using winsock.

quote:
Original post by Nodger
Personally I''d use winsock, but direct play does provide "chatroom" facilities. Personally I like to steer clear of Microsoft API''s and if youre planning on porting your game to *nix, It would be much easier if youre using winsock.

And winsock is a not a Windows API??? winsock == Windows Sockets.
If you want to use different OS''s you''re popbably going to have to go with a BSD-like socket implementation, or a higher level library available on multiple platforms.

quote:
Original post by PropellerBoy
quote:
Original post by Nodger

And winsock is a not a Windows API??? winsock == Windows Sockets.
If you want to use different OS''s you''re popbably going to have to go with a BSD-like socket implementation, or a higher level library available on multiple platforms.

The difference between winsock, and BSD sockets are very small. It''s trivial to write the other version if you have one of them working. The same can''t be said when converting Directplay to BSD sockets.

--------
The answer to the original question

Sockets are bit harder to get started with, but you have much more freedom, when choosing the interface you like, or what features you want to support. And once you have done the basic framework, it might even be easier to work with, better suited for your needs than DirectPlay.

In a commercial game, you will almost for sure want to use sockets instead of DirectPlay. First reason, The consoles, x-box and playstation, only has socket like interfaces. The second reason is that if you have a server, you probably want that to work on linux systems too.

But of course if you just are learning the basics, then it might be better to start with DirectPlay first, and then move over to winsock later. Then you don''t need to be concerned about the lowlevel stuff, and concentrate on the logic instead. When you have learnt the basics, I recommend that you at least learn winsock a little bit. Becuase you will get a much better idea of where the bottlenecks in the network code are when knowing that.