Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many kinds of Calculus?

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve studied ''standard'' calculus(what is that the right name for that? using Riemann integrals etc) in HS and college, and I''ve heard of predicate calculus(symbolic logic I think?) and lambda calculus (anonymous functions, right?). What other kinds of calculus are there and what do they deal with?

In addition to differential/integral calculus ("normal" calculus), I can think of: calculus of classes, Feynman''s operational calculus, discrete calculus of variations, propositional calculus, eta calculus, pi calculus, non-normable calculus, vector calculus, process calculus, Abadi-Cardelli calculus, Mitchell-Fischer calculus, calculus of concurrent systems, and so on.

I really don''t think describing them is very productive. Basically any field of mathematics or applied computation can have a "calculus" name for it. On the whole, I find their use rather pretentious (excepting when the so and so calculus is the normal name, like lambda or differential).