Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outputting to DX debugger?

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am learning DX3D and I am trying to get it so I can output messages to the debugger.. here is what I tried: -installed DX SDK with debug libraries in winmain: DbgInitialise(hInst); DbgOutString("TESTING\n"); //Run until the application returns from Go! g_pTransformApplication->Go(); DbgTerminate(); I also added these registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Debug\Chapter09.exe (the name of the .exe) LogToFile = Debug TRACE = 3 Now when I start the app using Debug->Direct3d->Start with direct3d debugging it asked me if I wanted to switch to the debug version of the libraries and I clicked yes. Then I got this output which doesn''t include my message. Help ! ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\source\dx3dbookcode\Chapter09 (Transformations)\Debug\Chapter09.exe'', Symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d8.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d8thk.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\LgWndHk.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\itchhk.dll'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d8d.dll'', No symbols loaded. Direct3D8: (INFO) :======================= Hal HWVP device selected ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Scrolling\LGMSGHK.DLL'', No symbols loaded. ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcp60.dll'', Symbols loaded. D3DX: (INFO) Using SSE2 Instructions ''Chapter09.exe'': Loaded ''C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\KbdHook.dll'', No symbols loaded. The program ''[2776] Chapter09.exe: Native'' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

That works for debugging to the output window in VC, but when I change the registry entry to LogToFile=c:\dxdebug.txt the log results are still going into the output window.

It seems like it''s not picking up the registry settings for some reason.

TS

It''d be nice to have a single log file with both the direct X and my error messages intermixed so I can tell whats going on if any errors happen. Plus I could have the errors go to my debugger if it''s on my PC or to a file if it''s on someone else''s PC. I''m surprised no one''s gotten this working.. it seems fairly simple if it actually worked.