Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof of a pattern in prime numbers!

This topic is 5146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I descovered this a long time ago but never said nethin and think some of u may like to know a little thing that is either an extreme coincident or proves theres a pattern in primes, ultimately meaning theres a formula. First make a prog that gets a *lot* of prime numbers in order, and place them in a file seperated with a new line. Then open that file and hold down the page down key, start counting and notice a digit smoothly incrementing, as the numbers get greater this number moves to the left 1, but the timing at which this number increases is perfectly in tune all the time.

Congrats, you''ve empirically observed the Riemann zeta function.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

I think you refer to something called "The Prime Number Theorem". You are smart if you observed it. It was conjectured by Gauss and proved by Hadamard and another belgian.

You are smart, but it seems you lack formal training. Study harder.

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Congrats, you''ve empirically observed the Riemann zeta function.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

Eh? Not really...

quote:
Original post by malpass
I descovered this a long time ago but never said nethin and think some of u may like to know a little thing that is either an extreme coincident or proves theres a pattern in primes, ultimately meaning theres a formula.

First make a prog that gets a *lot* of prime numbers in order, and place them in a file seperated with a new line. Then open that file and hold down the page down key, start counting and notice a digit smoothly incrementing, as the numbers get greater this number moves to the left 1, but the timing at which this number increases is perfectly in tune all the time.

Considering that if you could really accurately discern any prime number for very large n, this would be about the biggest discovery in mathematics in the history of man. In other words, you probably don''t have what you think you have.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think you all need to study more and get more formal trainging LOL..

It has really nothing to do with the PNT or Riemann''s hypothesis.

If you think about it you will figure out what you are seeing and why.

I for one didn''t know that this is true, and I doubt there is a proof stating exactly that (it seems a rather unmathematical thing).

The main problem in your post is that there has been well established pattern in the primes, but it does not stick absolutely to it. Once you start looking at a localized area (which you are neatly avoiding by scrolling fast), you always find small errors. Furthermore, having such a pattern does not mean there is ultimately a formula. (E.g. the constant omega has 50% 1s and 50% zeros in binary, but it is uncomputable i.e. the sequence will never be known).

Are you sure about your result. The links given by other posters serve to remind me that the primes get more spaced out the higher, hence, even with the digit shifing occasionally, it shouldn''t smoothly scroll. The time to increase by one should be shorter for the higher numbers (8 or 9).

quote:
Original post by owl
Maybe if you try harder you could actually discover those plans to build a space-time teleporter machine... that''d be cool

Please do!