A Few More Book Recomendations

Started by
4 comments, last by Lord FireFox 20 years, 5 months ago
First of all I would like to say to all beginning programmers out there, Please don't get discouraged, no matter what people tell you, being a Game programmer is not a terrible job and it doesn't have to be a painful learning experience. Here are 3 books I found useful in the order I've read them. Teach Yourself C++ by Al Stevens, a very good Teach yourself books, one of the original. can be found on Amazon.com for $24.50 3 stars Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schilt, love him or hate him this book is excellent, 5 stars on Amazon.com and can be bought new for $5.00! Code Complete A Practical Handbook of Software Construction, Steve McConnell, this is a book won't teach you how to code games or any program for that matter but it is a good resource for proper coding techniques. anywhere from $35.00 or lower at Amazon.com 4 1/2 stars This is my book recommendations in addition to the ones featured on the Books and Resources page. In addition to Programming Role-Playing Games in DirectX 8.0 you should also pickup Multiplayer Games Programming in DirectX 8.0 by Todd Baron after you get the hang of coding small RPG's, It's another 4 star book at Amazon [edited by - Lord FireFox on November 10, 2003 8:18:33 PM]
"I hope you brought your wits along with you for sanity is in short supply here." - Hratli of Kurast (Diablo 2)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Lord FireFox
Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schilt, love him or hate him this book is excellent, 5 stars on Amazon.com

Wow, nice price. I have Programming Windows, by the same author (and would recommend it). I wonder how the two compare.

I second Code Complete. I haven''t read the others.

Hi there,

I have to disagree with your Windows 98 book. There is not much point telling someone new to start programming for an operating system (98) that Microsoft themselves has withdrawn formal support for.

Also, DirectX9 has been a bit of a leap from 8 with the managed extensions and the shader stuff - infact 9 is probably simplier to program using managed languages. If you are going to get a DirectX 8 book, I also second the Programming Role-Playing Games in DirectX 8.0 book - which is very well written and covers alot of ground (plus it can be used as a draft excluder / something to press flowers with) (!)

The C++ book is a good start though, may I suggest studying that in conjunction to Dave Parsons effort and of course having a copy of Deitel & Deitel C++ How to program somewhere at your side.

For those whom C++ is a bit daunting, try Java (which forces good naming practices and OO skills) - which has the advantage of working on some mobile phones and has the excellent Elipse IDE free, or C# - with the free SharpDevelop IDE. Unless of course you can afford more :-)

To anybody really new at this, I would suggest setting yourself small games as goals to begin with (not go straight out writing the next Final Fantasy with online capabilities etc etc) and just finish whatever you start. Don''t be scared to re-use (but of course credit) other peoples work, and if DirectX seems to daunting, just try the GDI/GDI+ first.

If you program your first mini game projects well, you''ll develop a library of your own code that may help towards creating that Holy Grail of games in your mind.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
I recommended the Windows 98 book because its a starting point for someone who doesn''t know a whole lot of Windows programming and most of the stuff I''ve tried in the book works well with XP but if you want to pickup a Windows XP version of the book you''ll have to do a search for it at Amazon or BooksAMillion.com and I can''t guarantee the price. I was going for an "Affordable" recommendation.
"I hope you brought your wits along with you for sanity is in short supply here." - Hratli of Kurast (Diablo 2)
If you wanted to learn how to drive, would you get lessons from somebody who couldn''t drive or teach? The same applies to learning C++. Eat me.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]
[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || [email=lektrix@barrysworld.com]E-Mail Me[/email] ]
Yes I have actually read the books that I recommended, thats why I recommended them, If I didn''t read them I wouldn''t have said anything about them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement