Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm having quite a queer quandary with a D3DX interface

This topic is 6360 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry for the title (I feel like a newbie again! This is so exciting!) Anyway, getting serious. I''m having a problem (duh). I created one of those D3DX context thingies and in my InitDX() function, I call SetClearColor() and get the D3D interfaces from it, with no problems. Then, in my central rendering function, any attempt to make a call from the interface result in the abrupt termination of the progam. Upon checking the error log, I found that the methods never even returned. I was using the context to clear the screen (which caused a crash), but I switched to calling Clear from the D3D device and it stopped quitting there and started quitting on the next call from the context: UpdateFrame(). The interface isn''t NULL; I checked that, and I couldn''t have released it anywhere. The one place I do release interfaces has calls to my logger, and they don''t show up anywhere in the log file. I hope my problem is clear (and hopefully straightforward to solve?). This problem just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. One compile, it was working, and the next compile (after a few minor changes), it failed. The D3DX examples with the SDK work. Please help, as this problem is baffling me. Trigon I like food.

I learned D3D from your tutorials.

This problem is still bugging me, even after checking over all the resources I could find. I''ll check MSKB in a sec, that just came to me, but I don''t know what I''m doing to upset the works here. Well, thanks anyway.

I like food.

One thing: did you remember to call D3DXInitialize() before you created the context?

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

Yes of course, none of the D3DX functions work w/o D3DXInitiliaze first.

Okay.. here 'tis.

void InitDX()
{
hr = D3DXInitialize();
D3DXGetErrorString(hr, 80, szError);
LogHRESULT(hr, LOG_BOTH | QUIT_ON_FAIL, "Initialized D3DX.", szError);

hr = D3DXCreateContext(D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_CONTEXT_FULLSCREEN,
Windows->GetHWND(),
800, 600,
&lpD3DXContext);
LogHRESULT(hr, LOG_BOTH | QUIT_ON_FAIL, "Created D3DX context.", szError);

lpD3DDevice = lpD3DXContext->GetD3DDevice();
lpD3D = lpD3DXContext->GetD3D();
lpDD = lpD3DXContext->GetDD();
Log("Got interfaces.");

hr = lpD3DXContext->SetClearColor(D3DRGBA(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.3f, 0.0f));
LogHRESULT(hr, LOG_BOTH | QUIT_ON_FAIL, "Set clear color.", szError);

D3DMATRIX ViewMat;
D3DUtil_SetViewMatrix(ViewMat, D3DVECTOR(0,0,-5), D3DVECTOR(0, 0, 0), D3DVECTOR(0,1,0));
hr = lpD3DDevice->SetTransform(D3DTRANSFORMSTATE_VIEW, &ViewMat);
LogHRESULT(hr, LOG_BOTH | QUIT_ON_FAIL, "Set view transform.", szError);
}

I hope that makes sense, though I've probably commited one of my biggest pet peeves - making it so you have to scroll horizontally to see the message. No worries!

BTW, if you're a fan of RPGs at all, check out Plansecape: Torment if you haven't already - I HIGHLY recommend it.

Trigon

I like food.

Edited by - TrigonLoki on July 14, 2000 2:06:43 AM

Edited by - TrigonLoki on July 14, 2000 2:09:09 AM

Edited by - TrigonLoki on July 14, 2000 2:09:49 AM