Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARS very early test released.....and more programming help wanted.

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi the first test version of our MMO game MARS: The Red Planet is now available from http://mtrp.juntadigital.com any constructive [or not so] criticism would be appreciated, although please be aware that this is a very early test and is not indicative of the final "fun factor" of the complete online game. we are also looking for another programmer or two, preferably good with web stuff, for our server-side programming and tools. and of course we need more art people. as you can see from the demo, my art skills are severely limited. sorry no screenies, but its only 600k-ish to download, so shouldnt be a problem for people to take a quick look at. thanks Chris

Heh, kinda neat. I have no way of telling if i was actually connected to a server or not but it was running albeit with some problems. Your visibility detection has some pretty big problems on my setup, more often than not large sections of the ground weren''t rendered, a bit odd standing on an invisiable floor. Nice fog.

AMD XP 3500(ish)
Radeon 9000Pro
512 DDR

very cool.. the buggy seems to fall through the terrain every now and then and the terrain becomes see through...also the seams on the sky box are visible so you might want to try to get rid of them...otherwise at the stage you''re at i feel you''re doing pretty good

I get a crash to desktop when walking or driving on the hills in the terrain. I have Windows 2000 Pro, Geforce2 MX400, 256MB RAM, 1.8 GHz P4. I got around 60 frames per second.

Same problems. Chunks of terrain do not appear, buggy goes through the ground, plus i''m on a French keyboard, so your keys WASD are completely messed up and unplayable for me (arrows, or even better: an option to reconfigure the keyboard would be welcome). The interface is pretty neat though.

Y.

Looks pretty cool, I like the fact that you can ride the vehicles, although the buggy would hit terrain, fly into the air, and then fall through the ground. But the spaceship went good.

about 151fps
athlon 1.4ghz
9600 pro
256mb

probs:
I don't find the skybox attractive, and I had the terrain problems (disappears)

but keep up the good work

[edited by - Shadow12345 on November 11, 2003 6:21:18 PM]

Goes to full screen, I see a box come up saying loading for a split second and then the window is minimized. When I click on the minimized window the screen is black and thats all I get.

P3 850
geforce 2 gts 32mb
win 2k pro
256 megs of ram

"failed loading mesh" is what pops up on my computer. I''m using an Intel Celeron 2.2ghz, 256MB''s, Windows98 S.E, SIS 651 something 32MB''s(onboard card)...

p4 2ghz
512 mb ram
Radeon 8500 64 mb

The game runs at a constant 100 fps. After I closed it and tried opening I would get an illegal operation in module . I also had the problem with the glitchy terrain. Why does the ground texture kind of fade out completely at about half range to the edge of the terrain? It''s also a little bland and doesn''t tile correctly .

I am using win2k server. when I run I get an "error loading mesh" messge, and it keeps on popping up, then the mouse hangs and I get an illegal exception. wts this mean?

man I''''m tired of living!

most of the issues you spoke of have been dealt with.

the new build is now available from http://mtrp.juntadigital.com

just dont drive on the "no man's land"

the "error loading mesh" may be due to how you unzipped the package. you need to retain the folder structure.

yes, keyboard mapping is coming soon.

Chris

[edited by - Qatal on November 12, 2003 2:24:22 AM]

'error loading mesh' here as well... I tried to keep the folder structure right and I think it is (2 separate folders in the root) but it gives the error anyway...

Pentium III 650 Mhz
128 mb sdram
Nvidia TNT2 M64 (32 mb)
Windows XP

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |

[edited by - Subotron on November 12, 2003 2:29:09 AM]

ok I tried another pc and it did work there:

Pentium III 800 Mhz
256 mb sdram
GeForce2 MX (32 mb)
Windows XP

So I can''t really guess what the problem would be, except hardware acceleration and shaders totally missing on the TNT2. Angry could have the same problem with his onboard card...

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |

Windows 2000
P4 2.8C
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB

No crashes or any other weirdness here. Although I agree with the comments on the landscape, you guys need a way longer viewing distance.

Works better than a german resteraunt for me but to be honest with you, I don't like how the jeep and spaceship 'feel', which is the most important thing when doing vehicles. a) they don't accelerate, it's only 'go' or 'dont go' which is kind of weak. b) jumping with the jeep over hills or whatnot is done really odd. You should expand on that code a bit that re-orients your jeep as you fall down, it seems as if you always fall down like a cat, on all 4. Shouldn't be like that at all..

[edited by - Enokh on November 28, 2003 8:57:36 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
runs perfectly at 90fps for me
win xp home
3.5ghz p4
1024 ddr ram
rad 9800 pro 128mb card

I'm still getting the "loading"->minimized->black screen...
Also would be nice if you made a simple website or something rather than just giving us root access to the website.

WinXP
AMD 1ghz
Geforce MX 5600

[edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on November 28, 2003 3:05:14 PM]