Strange back propagation behaviour (picure inside)

Started by
14 comments, last by Spencer 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi! The picture below shows the output from my program trying to learn a neural network the XOR function. EDIT: what it shows is the error rate (sqrt(output - expected)**2) for the 4 different inputs of the XOR func. the strange thing is that it only "learns" for one of the outputs...all the others dont adapt. I know this is quite i shot in the dark, but does anybody have any idea about what might be going on? I have checked and double checkde my code and i dont find anything wrong.....any other suggestions about what i can try to test my ANN on? thank you... --Spencer --Spencer "Relax, this dragon is sleeping..." [edited by - spencer on November 11, 2003 8:47:28 AM]
--Spencer"All in accordance with the prophecy..."
Advertisement
How many layers of neurons and how many neurons per layer are you using?
I am using one hidden layer with 2 neurons and of course one output neuron and 2 inputs...

--Spencer

"Relax, this dragon is sleeping..."
Are you using an extra input set to 1 in all neurons (I think this is known as "bias")? If not, try that.
yes i am....doing that...and this is what really confuses me since it _should_ work..:/

--Spencer

You should try to find a Java applet that performs BP and compare your weights with the applet. I remember that on Generation5, there was one step of BP algorithm with weights and outputs, could be worth a look.
btw. what software did you use to generate the graphs ? Matlab ?
i will look at generation5 thanx

the software i use is gnuplot very good

--Spencer

Gnuplot, have to try this.

http://www.generation5.org/content/2001/xornet.asp
can it make some difference that i use
tanh() as my activation function?
I think it shouldnt but you might know better....

--Spencer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement