Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to know when to quit?

This topic is 5148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve read somewhere that sometimes it''s better to quit your current game project and chalk it up as a learning experience rather than go on and continuously bang your head against the wall. But then I''ve also read that it is of utmost importance that you persevere to completely finish that first game because it teaches you the lesson of finishing what you started. At what point do people decide that maybe it would be the best to move on?

If you are way over you head and you have no chance of completing the project you should probably quit and start something you can complete.

[edited by - Sean Doherty on November 11, 2003 12:56:07 PM]

I would say if your not going to get anything out of completing it.. say you get to a point and you have realised that you did something very wrong at the beginning of the project then you''d have 2 options, struggle through and constantly work around the problem, or put the project aside and start fresh making sure not to make the same mistake..

in this case you''d probably get more usefull experience from starting over with a better vision of how the system should be put together..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

a third alternative to "quit or struggle uselessly" is to put it aside, and redesign from scratch (while being extra careful to avoid the mistakes you made the first time).

if you have enough design details worked out ahead of time, you can complete any sized project eventually.

most of the time i dont finish my projects because i loose motivation or dont have any more time. but when i work on them i improve my basecode significantly. i have gradually refined it for more than a year and now i''s almost perfect for my needs. hmmm... this gives me the ideea to post it on the net.

[ My Site ]
All your source are belong to us
/*ilici*/