• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MasterInsan0

Newbie problem that I just can't solve

This topic is 5512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As part of a project in a computer class I am taking (EAST Lab), I am programming a math calculation program to do useful mathematical calculations for a teacher or student. This is not the final version, just a DOS-console prototype. However, I have run into a problem I''ve never come across before. I am relatively new to coding, and although I know a bit about it, I''m still failing pretty badly in a few spots, apparently. The problem I''m having comes in the averaging function. I can average integers, but it will not give me a decimal, so I tried changing the ints to floats instead. This is really just a shot in the dark...I''ve never done this before. Anyway, I seem to be having a very ugly problem that is giving me 4 errors, every time I try to compile. Here''s the function: int AverageNums() { float fNumstoAvg = 0.0f; float i = 1.0f; system("cls"); cout << "Average -- Average some numbers."; cout << "\n\nHow many numbers would you like to average? "; cin >> fNumstoAvg; if (fNumstoAvg > 255.0f) { cout << "\nYou cannot average any more numbers than 255.\n\n"; system("cls"); return 0; } cout << "\n\n"; float fNumsIAvg[255]; for (i=1.0f;i <= fNumstoAvg; i++) { cout << "What is number " << i << "? "; cin >> fNumsIAvg; } // end for float fSum = 0.0f; for (i=1.0f;i <= fNumstoAvg; i++) { fSum = fSum + fNumsIAvg[i]; } float fAveraged = 0.0f; fAveraged = fSum / fNumstoAvg; cout << "\n\n"; cout << "Averaged together, the total is " << fAveraged << ".\n\n"; system("pause"); system("cls"); return 0; } I am aware of a couple of stupid mess-ups, such as having an int function return 0 for no apparent reason, when I could just make it a void function and have it simply return. However, the problem seems to be in the addition for-loop, which contains "fSum = fSum + fNumsIAvg[i];". Also, a problem seems to exist in the "cin >> fNumsIAvg[i];" line...the first two errors relate to this line, and the last two relate to the line in the above paragraph. The errors are: 1. error C2108: subscript is not of integral type 2. error C2679: binary ''>>'' : no operator defined which takes a right-hand operand of type ''float *'' (or there is no acceptable conversion) 3. error C2108: subscript is not of integral type 4. error C2111: pointer addition requires integral operand Anyone have any ideas what my lacking mind is missing?

Advertisement
[qoute]
error C2108: subscript is not of integral type

if you're going to use i as a subscript (array) it can't be a float... or you'll have to cast it as an int (array[(int)i]) I don't recommend that

quote:

error C2679: binary '>>' : no operator defined which takes a right-hand operand of type 'float *' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

you can't use cin with a float... sorry

I'd suggest going back to integers... you only really need to make fAveraged a float... you could also make fSum a float so you don't have to worry about integer division

[edited by - tempuself on November 11, 2003 10:40:12 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
You cannot have a float in a for loop. It must be an integer. Change i to an int.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Most $19.99 calculators will do all of that already.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
You cannot have a float in a for loop.

Of course you can.

for (float loop = 9.99f; loop > 0.01f; loop -= 0.01f)
{
// bla bla
}

quote:
Original post by TempusElf
quote:

error C2679: binary ''>>'' : no operator defined which takes a right-hand operand of type ''float *'' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

you can''t use cin with a float... sorry

Nonsense. Of course you can use cin with a float. Not, however, with a float pointer ...

Almost forgot, this should work:

int AverageNums()
{
int fNumstoAvg = 0;
int i = 0;
system("cls");
cout << "Average -- Average some numbers.";
cout << "\n\nHow many numbers would you like to average? ";
cin >> fNumstoAvg;
if (fNumstoAvg > 255)
{
cout << "\nYou cannot average any more numbers than 255.\n\n";
system("cls");
return 0;
}

cout << "\n\n";
float fNumsIAvg[255];
for (i=0; i < fNumstoAvg; i++)
{
cout << "What is number " << i << "? ";
cin >> fNumsIAvg[i];
} // end for

float fSum = 0.0f;
for (i= 0; i < fNumstoAvg; i++)
{
fSum = fSum + fNumsIAvg[i];
}
float fAveraged = 0.0f;
fAveraged = fSum / fNumstoAvg;
cout << "\n\n";
cout << "Averaged together, the total is " << fAveraged << ".\n\n";
system("pause");
system("cls");
return 0;
}

[edited by - EL on November 11, 2003 4:02:25 PM]

Here's a revamped version because I'm bored: (also, use [ source ] tags for big code snippets)

void average()
{
long total=0;

int numberOfNumbers=0;

cout<<"How many numbers would you like to average? ";
cin>>numberOfNumbers;

for(int i=0;i<numberOfNumbers;i++)
{
cout<<"Enter number "<<i<<": ";
int temp=0;
cin>>temp;
total+=temp;
}
float result=((float)total/(float)numberOfNumbers);
cout<<"result: "<<result;
}

[edited by - brassfish89 on November 11, 2003 10:23:07 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!