Windows Updates

Started by
6 comments, last by Yogurt2004 20 years, 5 months ago
Ok heres the plan. I am looking for a program of some sort that will, everyday goto the microsoft website and get all the lastest updates, then it will send the updates through the server to the all the other computers so that they all have the "Latest Updates" does anyone know of such a program? if not where is there a site with forms about this topic. Thanks Note: The computers consist of Win 2000, XP, 98, 95 some have internet access and some do not..we are also using lotus notes to send emails through our own network..Hope this helps
Advertisement
Microsoft already provides software for a local Windows update server that can download updates once and distribute them through your company.
Ok, WHere can I find that software of get that for my company?
He''s talking about the OS, Windows itself that can do this. I am pretty sure that XP has an option that allows you to auto update when need be.

The main problem with what you want is that first off you are looking at 4 (possibly 5 if you include 98SE) different versions of files to collect. What happens normally is that when you go to update Windows I am no sure exactly how it does it as I am not an expert, but it collects the information off your computer and see''s what files you don''t have yet.

So there is a flaw already cause if you are collecting from an XP machine you will not get the option to get the 9.x files. Plus who''s to say that two different computers that are running the same OS have the exact same files? That one computer might need that extra file that it wouldn''t get from the collective.

Overall the simpliest way I think that doesn''t require much work is to once a week get everyone to check for new updates on the web. Just as of note I don''t think that you can even get Win95 updates anymore (let alone do they still make patches for that OS).
We would do that but not all systems have the Internet, and the people with the computers that have the internet only know how to use there programs not windows updates, this is why we want it to do it automatically or something, so they do not have to deal with it.
Thanks
Ok, let me ask you this then, is there a way that I can set up one computer to download ALL the updates from microsoft then have all the other computers talk to that main computer and download the updates they need? I know the most obvious reason would be to have the other computers hook up to the internet and just do an autamatic update but the thing is if we let those computers have the internet the night shift will just playgames and we cannot have that..
Thanks
Yes,
go to microsoft''s site and search for Microsoft Software Update Services. I believe this is what you are looking for.
quote:Original post by Yogurt2004
The computers consist of Win ... 95
Windows 95 isn''t supported by Microsoft anymore (IIRC), so it should be kinda hard to get automatic updates.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement