Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HL2 Total Conversion Citizen-132

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, we at Citizen-132 are looking for a 4th and 5th advanced C++ programmer to work with our current 27 person team. We have gone into the top spot as the most anticipated game in the HL2 world. Our website is www.citizen-132.com ... check the media page for some pictures of our current work. Applications should be to: smurray@citizen-132.com or s_murray20@hotmail.com I can also be contacted through: MSN: s_murray20@hotmail.com AIM: stephenmurray88 IRC: irc://irc.gamesnet.net/citizen-132 Thank you, Stephen "the_s-man" Murray Team Leader of Citizen-132 www.citizen-132.com

quote:
Original post by Monder
Not about joining your mod but where''d you get in-game screenshots from if hl2 ain''t out yet?

And how can you be the "most anticipated game in the HL2 world," if there is no HL2 world yet?

uhmmm
the game isnt out yet
you coding with it must mean youre using the leaked version
which will get you banned bigtime i guess

or am i missing something?

We originated as a Half-Life 1 mod, thus, those screenshots are from our HL1 version, so i''ll take that as a compliment you thought they were from HL2.

The mod community for HL2 is already growing, fans are choosing mods to "rout" for, and people are starting to get favorites. There have been polls on all of the major news sites, with our mod being on top most of the time.

Oh, and the "Soliders" picture...was hand-drawn by our concept artist. If you look closely, you can see it was painted.

Urgh would you people lighten up. The media (he never says he has in game screenshots) are renders and concept art. The ingame shots look like they are from HL1. Maybe you should check the page out before bitching? Also he never says they've started coding on it. Perhaps the claim of being "the top spot as the most anticipated game in the HL2 world" is a little far fetched, but still he has more going than 99% of the help wanted stuff.

[edited by - ratman on November 11, 2003 4:41:59 PM]

quote:

Urgh would you people lighten up. The media (he never says he has in game screenshots) are renders and concept art. The ingame shots look like they are from HL1. Maybe you should check the page out before bitching? Also he never says they''ve started coding on it. Perhaps the claim of being "the top spot as the most anticipated game in the HL2 world" is a little far fetched, but still he has more going than 99% of the help wanted stuff.

maybe i shouldnt check his website first, cos im in no way interested. but then again i wasnt bitching in the first place, just asking questions. chill.

quote:
but still he has more going than 99% of the help wanted stuff.

too bad this is in the "game programming" forum instead of the "help wanted" one..

The problem is HL2 is coming out no earlier than March 1st, and probably later than that. I don''t know why you''re trying to get programmers now... they''d have absolutely nothing to do... unless they use the leaked source, I guess. But premature mods always seemed quite strange to me.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

Don't know much about HL modding but for UT2K4, the engine should be compatible with UT2K3 mods. So it does make perfect sense to start a UT2K4 mod with the current engine and engine-specific optimizations / fixes can be made latter.

I'd say it is probably the same with HL and HL2. A complete redesign of the API would probably be a pain. Just my 0.02€ ;-)

[edited by - overnhet on November 12, 2003 6:35:14 AM]

ut2k3 had the neat advantage of being built out of a script system that . . well was fast. half-life was good old honest computer code! thats why its possible for old unreal mods to owrk with the new engine and why its unlikely that new halflife mods would. i mean the function pointers sent to the dlls would be waaaayy off. plus halflife 2 is made with ''all new'' code while halflife had chunks of quake & quake 2 in it! which is supposed to be why valve decided to make it at all modable. weird how people are looking forward to hlaflife 2 mods with about the same entusiasim that others are looking for games based on the doom 3 engine.

quote:
Original post by overnhet
Don''t know much about HL modding but for UT2K4, the engine should be compatible with UT2K3 mods. So it does make perfect sense to start a UT2K4 mod with the current engine and engine-specific optimizations / fixes can be made latter.

I''d say it is probably the same with HL and HL2. A complete redesign of the API would probably be a pain. Just my 0.02€ ;-)

No, there''s no way HL2''s code even remotely resembles HL1''s. Half-Life was based on a combination of Quake 1 C code, Quake 2 C code, and Half-Life C++. It was therefore very messy and not too well organized... HL2 would be totally redesigned, so mods for it won''t work with HL1 and vice versa. Of course, hopefully it can load Half-Life''s model format, but who knows... certainly the HL2 native model format will be vastly different.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

quote:
Original post by CGameProgrammer
No, there''s no way HL2''s code even remotely resembles HL1''s. Half-Life was based on a combination of Quake 1 C code, Quake 2 C code, and Half-Life C++. It was therefore very messy and not too well organized... HL2 would be totally redesigned, so mods for it won''t work with HL1 and vice versa. Of course, hopefully it can load Half-Life''s model format, but who knows... certainly the HL2 native model format will be vastly different.

However, they *have* said that porting HL1 mods to HL2 should be fairly simple. Draw your own conclusions. Such a port, of course, wouldn''t take advantage of all the new HL2 features by default (it''d be ''HL2 mod, HL1-stylee''), but it probably won''t be too hard to extend a mod to use HL2''s new capabilities.

Richard "Superpig" Fine
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4 | Enginuity5
ry. .ibu cy. .y''ybu. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu
"Don''t document your code; code your documentation." -me

Jeez you guys are pretty hostile. I dont think the guy did anything wrong, certainly not enough to warrant all the bitching and accusations he''s recieving.

The only thing ''wrong'' he did was to post his request here instead of in the help wanted forum, but I probably would have done the same thing, since it doesnt seem that very many people go to that forum. Also, I think that if I had the skills (which I probably don''t), then I would be interested in being one of the programmers. However, I have never been to the help wanted forum because I never thought about creating or even joining a project like this. So I says its almost a good thing he posted here.

Anyway, I think your mod sounds cool, stephenmurray, and after I play throught the single player about 10 times, and check out multiplayer for a while, Ill definetly come back and check out Citizen-132 (if you guys are still in business, that is )

Guest Anonymous Poster
"No, there''s no way HL2''s code even remotely resembles HL1''s. Half-Life was based on a combination of Quake 1 C code, Quake 2 C code, and Half-Life C++. It was therefore very messy and not too well organized... HL2 would be totally redesigned, so mods for it won''t work with HL1 and vice versa. Of course, hopefully it can load Half-Life''s model format, but who knows... certainly the HL2 native model format will be vastly different."

The HL2 engine itself is no complete rewrite, it''s still chock full of legacy Quake 1 code fyi.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
"No, there''s no way HL2''s code even remotely resembles HL1''s. Half-Life was based on a combination of Quake 1 C code, Quake 2 C code, and Half-Life C++. It was therefore very messy and not too well organized... HL2 would be totally redesigned, so mods for it won''t work with HL1 and vice versa. Of course, hopefully it can load Half-Life''s model format, but who knows... certainly the HL2 native model format will be vastly different."

The HL2 engine itself is no complete rewrite, it''s still chock full of legacy Quake 1 code fyi.

And how, pray, would you know that? Your IP is logged, you know.

quote:
Original post by superpig
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

And how, pray, would you know that? Your IP is logged, you know.

Because ongoing discussion of the HL2 development process has been scattered all over the net and in newsgroups for years.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Don''t you pirates have somewhere better to hang out? Go copy a movie or something.