Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Couple ideas for Matrix games.

This topic is 5144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1) The Battle for Zion. This would, I guess, be a real time strategy game where you control units inside and outside of Zion. There''d be missions recreated from the movies (like that Counter Attack mission from Reloaded) and of course the final battle in Zion where you control the APU''s, as well as other custom missions in order to make the game longer. 2) The other one would be another generic action game, but it wouldn''t tie in directly to a movie. It''d be a standalone story, maybe where you play as Morphius after his first time out of the Matrix. What''d be really cool is there''d be a "Floating Agent" system where Agents would wait until you caused some kind of commotion and then would show up (but they''d only do that when the game is open-ended, not on straightahead missions). They''d also be able to move in and out of other NPC''s in the area. Any thoughts? ----------------------------- A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold... Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment. http://www.danavisiongames.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Good luck getting permission to use the copyrighted material....

1) I would see that as more of a FPS with goals.

I think the first idea would be better implemented as a sort of Dynasty Warriors system. The battle rages around you regardless, and you have to perform tasks or support troops according to orders, circumstances, and your own judgement.

Personally I don''t think any matrix games would go over well. Mainly because there''s a lot to the movie and trying to put new stuff in to make a game would be very very risky. I don''t know if it could be pulled off.

BUT..... Before i''m flamed read on.

I have watched The Animatrix. What COULD be done is the begining of the war. When machines first started to take over. There is a potential for a LOT of stuff. It would be very very interesting. Assuming the story is great and gameplay good... i would thoroughly enjoy such a game. It could be pretty much any style of game. RTS, FPS...

And regarding "Anonymous Poster" Be Quiet!.... Just kidding. You''re totally right. Good luck indeed.

when you say matrix games, who says they have to be related to the movies stories? the wachowski brothers are trying to create an entire culture / world for their story. they want to bring the whole matrix universe to depths that would rival marvel. they''ve got a whole entire comic book series on the website, the animatrix, the game (enter the matrix), and the 3 movies.
I wouldn''t be surprised if a tv show was spawned like what happened to stargate.
a few novels are in the works right now and there''s alot more to be told about the matrix. I''m sure if you came up with a decent idea for even a simple game, and proposed it to the brothers somehow, they wouldn''t reject it, as long as it kept with the spirit of their creation.

after the last two matrix movies, i have no interest in any game based on that franchise. if the guys controlling the whole thing can fuck it up so bad, maybe it is time to just forget it all and invent your own damn story.

I think it would be interesting to create a game that took place during the events but where you wheren''t an active particapent in any of them instead they where happening in the background.

For instance you could be racing down a street chased by agents when the black out from the 2nd movie occurs. You wouldn''t explain those events from the movie but the user would be able to recoginze them.

One of the most interesting things I would like to see included in a matrix game would be the agents. You''d have to included system where the wandering background npc could suddenly become agents and attack the player.

As far matrix games go if the popularity increases and expends to new media I''m sure it won''t be long before we see "Tony Hawk''s eXtreme Matrix"

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

I think there are worlds of possibilities for Matrix spin-offs. Why not set it in one of the six Matrices before the last one? You could be the first One, with no idea what''s going on, and a far less amazing set of powers than Neo had.

Or be the One right before Neo, and at the end, right before you allow Zion to be destroyed, you do something to the Matrix that will lead to Smith''s unique situation. Smith never had any choices, and was bound by his destiny. I think it would rock to be the author of that destiny. Or just to throw the stone that rippled the surface of fate and hope something cool happens. Could be way more satisfying than the crappy Neo story.

If you haven''t seen Matrix Revolutions this may spoil it (if the Reloaded one hasn''t already)...

You could set a world after Matrix Revolutions. They did one of those classic hollywood "end the movie but just enought for another sequal" moves. After all it was only a peace between the machines and the humans and I don''t think the architect was too happy about it. Also, as a human would you really want machines around that had complely enslaved the planet once before? The only reason the machines were keeping the humans around in the first place was a power supply. What if they find another power supply that doesn''t require humans?

Wow. Brainstorming rocks.

TechnoGoth: As it turns out, the Agents waiting in the background to take over a NPC was the first idea I had when I came up with an idea for a Matrix game 3 years ago. Shortly afterward Enter the Matrix was announced and after a slight fit from seeing that my magazine said that Microsoft had the rights (which was wrong) I began NightRise. So there ya go.

A FPS Matrix game would be cool, but you wouldn''t be able to see any of the cool moves the guys perform, though I do prefer the gunslinging aspect of it. I like to think of the original Matrix as, like, a modern day Western, which is shown in the Subway Fight (tumbleweed newspapers blowing by and everything). They had the right idea making Enter the Matrix a 3rd person shooter, but it just wasn''t implemented well.

The only way to make a good Matrix would be if it used the Unreal Engine because it''s so amazingly powerful and the Monkey Matrix mod already proved that it does bullet time very well. Doom III engine based Matrix game would rock too though. Oh well, we can dream can''t we?

-----------------------------
A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...

Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.

http://www.danavisiongames.com

Ah, an amazing game of sitting in a cyberbath and being used as a power supply! I suggest you simulate it by hugging your computer and trying to turn it on by the force of your body heat.

to those of you saying the story got fucked up... who are you to say that? its the wachowski brothers story. not yours. it didn''t go the way that you were predicitng it to and now you''re bitterly against it saying its bullshit and stupid. Lost money on a bet didn''t you? The wachowski brothers wrote it so that it would be unpredictable. They didn''t want people to know where it was going untill it was over. Its a sophisticated story intertwined in general foreshadowing, lots of philosophy, and tons of metaphors. Study 3 or 4 shakespear plays then apply the same study methods to the matrix trilogy and i''m sure you''ll have alot deeper of an appreciation for the story.
I''m sorry that neo didn''t turn into some super human computer hacker with l33t powers like you all wanted to see, but the story wasn''t fucked up at all, because the story was never told before.
(except maybe in a biblical sence)

iNfuSeD, the simple fact that a story hadn''t been told before doesn''t exempt its authors from principles of continuity and cohesion. When people complain about the story they aren''t always just complaining about the universe that it portrays. Often as not, they''re complaining that it is inconsistent, or absurd, or that it conveniently forgets the previous chapters.

Nobody ever told any of the stories in the Evil Dead series before, but if you sit down and watch all three of them in a row, you will think, at least once, "What? What was that crap? Did these guys even SEE the other two movies?" And so it is with The Matrix.

Matrix zealots are like A Clockwork Orange zealots or Shakespeare zealots. Once they''ve labelled a thing as a "work of genius", then it becomes infallible to them. Anything you care to talk about, they can find it secretly manifested in their favorite stories. "It''s funny you should mention nuclear fusion, because Shakespear shows his thorough understanding of that phenomenon and describes it allegorically in his discussion of nature''s beuaty in Sonnet # 127 subsection A."

That''s an exaggeration, obviously, but one of my high school teachers prescribed Shakespeare for everything from girl trouble to poor athleticism to refusal to complete homework assignments on time. Lady, If I can''t get off my ass to do a page of multiplication problems, then I''ll be god damned if I''m going to turn off my Nintendo, read forty pages of iambic pentameter and THEN do math. Bite me.

So in conclusion, the Matrix stories didn''t lack imagination orvision, and they didn''t hurt for hyperbitchin'' special effects. Where those stories came up short is in the department of coherency. Sure, it''s neat to leave a few loose ends loose at the end of a story, and let the audience come to their own conclusions now and again, but when you spent one movie establishing a metaphysical model, and second movie challenging that model, and a third movie ignoring the other two movies, that''s just bad storytelling. Bite me. I saw all three of them on their respective opening nights, enjoyed all three to some extent, and will probably see all three again on DVD, but I can say without remorse or doubt that the Wachowski brothers can bite my ass, and then take a correspondence course in creative writing.

Don''t make a video game about my griping, Magic Card. Your Sun Wukong idea is still very good, though. In fact, the end of Revolutions owed a lot to DBZ, which owed a lot to the Monkey King. You could make three good games with one engine, and rake in money from one and lawsuits from the other two. Hmm... Or not.

actually did not forget the two previous, and it''s fairly coherent but the fact is people are not use of the reflexion made in matrix, in fact there is a culture gap...
they try to satisfied both party, by i know that the reaction are still confused, so many people didnot understand that neo has to lose, because it was not choice the main matter of the movie , it was illusion, that''s what neo and smith discover at the end, they were both true, and it was not that they have expect, the battle woull go forever, but it as to finish because everything as a end, and no matter how well you fight or the purpose you fight for, they are pure illusion
get some of hindu philosophy

ok there many explanation you would come with, the film is design in that way, with ''noise'' to lost us, because the real thought was in the end silence in the last battle

i don''t know if some one could turn this into a game sucessfully from the film matrix, but this phylosophie was give implicitly in some old game, mostly some shooter like defender, the never ending battle which last only by death and hi score but never winning

don''t argue here, i think it''s a matter of culture, if you don''t have the good one the movie has non sense of coherency (well this did not retreive your feelings from the movie, they are real and there are yous)

actually i realize that my profile signature is like the movie matrix and sum it well

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You as the Architect have to manage your matrix in a way that keeps everyone believing that they are living normal lives.
Your goal would be to keep the matrix going as long as you can before the anomaly shows up.

Kind of like a sim city where you have to keep every one happy (wrong word but I can’t come up with a better one). Every so often some humans can jack in and cause trouble or a program goes rouge. At this point you could switch into a RTS or FPS mode where you order agents around to contain/destroy the humans/programs in the city that you built.

iNfuSeD: Who am I to say their story is messed up? I''m a consumer and probably fit into their target audience. I''m entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to your opinion. My biggest beef with the Matrix Reloaded STORY, in the first matrix the humans ran from the agents as fast as they could (except for Neo) and in reloaded ever one and his dog was standing up to the agents. What was different? It was 6 months later and the agents had been upgraded. Go figure.

Kars: That is actually a really good idea. It''d work too. Even in 2D.

As for why everybody was fighting the Agents, I think they had the mindset that, "If Neo can do it, so can I!" while totally forgetting that Neo is the one and they are not. Go figure.

And as for Revolutions, I did enjoy the majority of the film. Especially the first half hour, which paid tribute to the original Matrix in so many ways and it felt right in place with the series, unlike Reloaded which took completely different turns away from the original (though it is still my favorite of the series). Scenes like the second lobby scene (third if you count Enter the Matrix), the car ride with the Alfred Hitchcock moving background, the Oracle''s home, and a lot of good Smith lines really made the movie feel like a movie. Then, I noticed that the movie was gone and it was more like a video game that I couldn''t control. Revolutions, though amazing, had an extreme lack of Matrix. Really, only two parts of the movie were in the Matrix, the beginning and the end. Reloaded and the first movie were, for the most part, inside The Matrix. Revolutions could have stood as a breakaway movie since it was mostly in Zion, but as an actual "Matrix" film I don''t really know. Were it to have retained the quality dialogue as in the beginning of the film (up till Neo''s meeting with the Oracle) I would have loved it more. There were some great lines and it started off really quickly and wasted no time beating around the bush. But the Zion battle just dragged on for too long, and the movie definitely could have used some more scenes inside The Matrix, maybe even a little more character development (like the relationship between Lock and Niobe with Morpheus in the middle).

But then again, this thread isn''t about Revolutions. It''s about Matrix game ideas, because we all know more will come eventually.

-----------------------------
A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...

Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.

http://www.danavisiongames.com

I think it would be interesting to start anew. Move on.

After all, Max Payne, Enter the Matrix, and Viewtiful Joe aren''t really that great. Leave it alone. Move on. (''Course, I do see Viewtiful Joe''s mach speed finding its way into future Mario games... MHO)

==================
Benjamin Heath
==================

you know what.....there should be a training programs game like MGS VR missions

then we could have a fighting game....fps....dating sim(with the lady in the red dress) all in one!

[edited by - AcRiD_aCiD on November 15, 2003 7:19:38 PM]

Kars, you''re a genius. That''s the single best Matrix-related idea I''ve ever heard. You could have all kinds of fun with designing the Matrix and maintaining it. If you were someone similar to the Architect, but with a damge-control function, you could be the guy on the other end of the Agents'' earpieces. And the Simcity "instant construction" phenomenon would be justified, as well.

Remember the part of the Animatrix about the "haunted house", with the team of Matrix programs coming at the end to "fix the glitch"? You could have that sort of thing happen like tornadoes or fires in Simcity, and have to fix them in a timely way.

There could be a "reality" meter, and whenever something weird happened, the residents of the Matrix would become more suspicious and have a higher rate of "escape" or whatever they call it when a power cell gets out and comes back as a badass kung-fu warrior. Also, you''d have to maintain a high population, to keep power outputs up.

You could sent agents to catch Zioners who get in and later in the game even have a "One" arise and start running amok. Really, there''s no need to destroy the Matrix when The One shows up, you could just have a series of fights and then when Zion explodes in the real world everything goes back to normal on the inside. Heck, if things got twitchy, you might even welcome The One, because his arrival heralds the destruction of Zion and a drastic reduction in "escapes".

Sweet idea. I like it very, very much. You might even want to start a new thread to talk about it.

Good idea with the simcity like Matrix game...prolly the only worthwhile idea in the whole mess that is the Matrix (IMHO)

Actually Kars with a few changes that idea would be even better if basied on Dark City...a film that people sorta forget about that came out a full year before the Matrix with practicaly the same story....or even base it on the old anime OVA series Megazone 23, which again had a simular story...Or even base it on the works of Science-fiction arthur Philip K Dick who was able to condense the entire Matrix idea down into a short story titled the Electric Ant way back in the 1960s...There is nothing even remotely new about the Matrix (just like there wasn''t anything new about Star Wars) but people either don''t know this or get so hung up on the details that they overlook everything (course they get so hung up on such details that they don''t see how inconsistant the films have been)

It's one thing to dislike a story, and another to dislike it for an incorrect reason.

Being incoherent is what the Matrix is all about but it's not without reason. If the population of Zion's inhabitants were not fooled by the prophecy, would they go as far as Neo did? By watching the next two movies, you would learned that the prophecy was just a seed of lies implanted with the 23 pioneers of the next Zion so that Neo would return to the Source to make his choice.

The fact is that the machines knew exactly where Zion was right from the start. This contradicts the part where Agent Smith was asking Morpheus where Zion was. They didn't need to ask, really.

By having an intricate story, the Matrix becomes unpredictable. Not the other way round. You are continuosly fooled along the way just like Neo was. You are watching the movie from the perspective of what a human would know. Isn't this what stories are about?

---

As for the game, yeah the SimCity thingy sounds like fun. But ya know the quote about everything having a beginning having an end? Yeah, how does the game end? Or is it open ended, which goes against everything the Matrix stands for. But then again, in the world of the Matrix, what doesn't? =p

Read the comics, they have some crazy stuff there. I particularly enjoyed those where they had to go to surface level on foot or something. Don't exactly remember what they did there though.

I personally feel that the Matrix universe doesn't really lend themselves to games. The war isn't really a war. It's an illusion. The machines will win any battle had they only wished it. This ain't any fun since you already know it. Ack. =x

[edited by - Darkor on November 16, 2003 3:48:20 PM]

Darkor, the prophecy being false, and the machines knowing hwere Zion was, and The One being a construction of the Architect to counter a flaw in the design is all fine and dandy. The shortcomings of the story are not in its content; they are in its structure. Neo''s big cut in power between the first two movies, Manifestation of Onely powers in the real world, the unjustified presence of divination, the bizarrely inconsistent use of "choice" as a plot element, and of course the fact that massaging a digital heart somehow led to the resuscitation of a physical person.

The lines they drew were blurred and erased and redrawn, and the denoument was such a dizzying chaos of references and nonsense that it serves to show who''s a nut for the Matrix and who isn''t. Those who think the Matrix is the best series ever will bend logic and sanity to find depth and meaning in an absurd story, while others will be mildly annoyed but enjoy the action sequences anyway. Sure they''re good movies, but the story could have used some more work.

Here''s a test for you: Why the heck did the machines give Neo a viking burial???

And hey, when does Simcity end? When you have to eat.

quote:

Here''s a test for you: Why the heck did the machines give Neo a viking burial???

Because they, like Neo, never had a choice in the matter...

A better question...What specificly did Neo do differently then any of the previous incarnations of "the one"?