• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soulz

has this been done with 3D graphics

This topic is 5451 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok from what i know one way to make something look 3d is to send one eye the pic from one dir and the other eye from the other dir ... so if u get a screen the has a refresh rate of say 100 then have the program swap the view .... ok did that make sence to anyone ???

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmmm...from what I can gather, i dont think that works, because the two views will look as if one is passing through the other (since the frequency is so high). This would not be the correct perception. The closest thing I know of is sterioscopic devices (like head mounted displays) that place one view in one eye and the other in the other eye (each taken from a slightly different position). Then, the human eye merges the two views while still being able to percieve depth.

You could render 2 views at slightly different angles both centered on the focus point and blend them together...would add a cheap depth effect.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Google for ''shutterglasses''

Such thing exists and you can go out and buy it, if you have the money: stereoscopic glasses.

Simply swapping the image won''t work: all you''ll see is flickering. Both eyes will see both images. Stereoscopic glasses contain a LCD shutter for each eye, and they open/close alternatedly, and so does your monitor. So each eye sees a different image.

They work on pretty much all D3D/OGL games, even if they never intended to support them (but your video card must support them). The video card driver can detect the glasses and the video card itself will modify the geometry before rendering it every frame to produce the 3D image.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Has anybody here ever used them? Are they any good? Or do they just make you dizzy?

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.dti3d.com/

Remember those old one eye green and one eye red plastic glasses for the old 3d movies?
Why not try taking that approach and see what happens? (i.e. one angle tinted green, the other red)

I've used them.. they are not bad, you need to mess about with the settings a lot to get a good 3D effect. One of the main probs is that you only get half the ligth to each eye.. so effectively half the brightness. What I would recommend if you want real 3D is one of the many 3D LCD monitors that are out now. Basically they have multiple "zones" and if you are within that angular zone, you get the 3D effect. The main prob with this, is you need to get used to keeping your head pretty still when using them, and not ducking all over the place. The overall effect is very impressive though. In fact one manufacturer (can't remember which) now has a laptop with a 3D screen.

EDIT: there is an app that lets you make normal OpenGL and D3D games run in 3D (in fact only D3D, and a wrapper). You can get it to make Red/Green views for you, and the effect is not bad either. The best effect (ie what they use for 3D cinema) is to project two independantly polarized images (vertical and horizontal) and wear polarized glasses, but you can't do this with a monitor... though I think there is some sort of special filter thing to put on your monitor combined with glasses to do this. Early 3D monitors used to have an "eye tracker" that moved the 3D zone to follow your head... but this was not much use, as it moved pretty slowly.

[edited by - dmounty on November 13, 2003 7:13:57 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!