Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A good book on Direct X?

This topic is 6362 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greets! I purchased Windows Game Programming for Dummies. I must admit, it is a great book, but I have a few problems with it. It will give you code, and explain how to implement it, but it really won''t explain the code itself. In addition, the book referrs to memory problems with 1 or 2 meg video cards which really aren''t existent anymore... or, he simply doesn''t explain some things that he doesn''t feel like (i.e. "I could explain LoadBitmap(), but because I don''t like .bmp''s encorperated into the .exe (I personally think that otherwise it makes the directories a mess), I won''t teach it. Instead, here is some other way to load it from the directory..." -- stuff like that.) It also makes a lot of assumptions about information you know previously, which really sort of irks me. I''m posative that I could implement and use the code. I''m posative that I could use it. My only problem is that I wouldn''t really understand what I''m doing, just pulling it out of the book, and making minor modifications that I know how. I''m wondering if anybody has a recommendation to a good Direct X book that is pretty recent, and gives good examples of practical use of the code? Just wondering, thanks! "Death to all who oppose me."

Personaly, I''m a Fan of "3D Game Programming with C++" by John De Goes. It''s List price is $49.99 US. And It explains stuff more than really telling you how to use it. It takes a while to catch on with this technique but after it sinks in you really know what your doing. The Book covers Direct Draw, 3D,Sound,Input,and Play. along with some game physics. It dosent cover DirectDraw that well though.

Just my 2¢ cents.

I would have to second the idea of checking out the SDK help files. They have been designed for the talk you talked about, explaining the commands.

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)

Neuro.

>> In addition, the book referrs to memory problems with 1 or 2 meg video cards which really aren't existent anymore <<

I believe that book was written in 97, I had a 2 mb vid card back then

An old book can't update itself with new information, you do know that don't you ? It's pretty obvious that it mentions problems that were around "back then".

- Muzzafarath

Mad House Software
The Field Marshals

Edited by - Muzzafarath on July 12, 2000 6:21:21 AM

Yeah, I''m well aware of it''s references to ''back then''.

Just so that it''s known, I really have absolutely no interest in developing a 3D game, so Direct 3D isn''t something I want to research (besides, I would have to research whether OpenGL is better, first .

I''ll probably take a good look at the SDK if it really is usefull; I figured I wouldn''t bother considering a lot of those references seem to be incredibly cryptic:

int fslpzOutConTxtStr(char *tem, double *flo, int &addr, char *frm) // BOOL.
Sends output to a console display. All of the arguments and parameters should be self-explanitory.

Anybody have any experience with "Learn Game Programming with DirectX 7" (I think that''s the name of the book), or anything else?

Thanks again.

[Goblin]

"Death to all who oppose me."

Dear Mr. Goblin.

i am a beginner myself.

the one i have found to be most useful is "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" it is writen by Andre LaMothe. its starts from the very beginning and them builds on it. ( i think its DX 6.1 but thats ok , it is a great foundation and making the transition from 6.1 to Dx 7 isnt to difficult)
course i hear DX 7.1 is in closed beta so..........
the "3D game programming with C++" by De Goes is also a great reference. ( however is IS in C++ , so if you learned C like me you will need to do a litle studying up on C++ first )

hope it helps ya out

I reckon Andre'' Lamothes'' "Tricks of the Windows game programming gurus" is a great book. It has very informal language and covers a lot of ground. I''m anxious for the second volume of the series though...

the book by John De Goes is good although I haven''t read it thoroughly! I am yet to make up my mind with API I should use!!
So I bought both OpenGL and DirectX books. hehe.
Back to the topic, John De Goes is good, but it has too much references at the back of the book. I think its almost half of the book!

You should go to:
http://www1.fatbrain.com/partners/msdn/_directx.asp

for good directx books.

sig u say?

the references are too brief! how could you learn from them? its a nightmare trying to find what function you are looking for with all those UPPERCASEFUNCTIONS hehe.

sig u say?