Collective Writing

Started by
21 comments, last by TechnoGoth 20 years, 4 months ago
Microsoft PowerPoint can be used, if you have it, to create a great site like this. Perhaps you can have an e-mail form on the page, that sends submissions to you. Then you can read them over (that could be the worst part of it all) and put either all of them (the ones that you consider appropriate, that is) or get rid of bad ones and put what''s left in a text box. You can set an opening frame and have it link to the continuations. Just a thought. This way you don''t have to worry about all that aggrivating HTML programming.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
Advertisement
Powerpoint can do that? Sweet. How difficult is it to work that out?

It still requires poor Technogoth to read them all. But I guess that might be the way to do it. He could solicit help from volunteer "administrators", to spread the work around.

Just be careful with the censorship. Stop the stupid stories, but let the bad ones through. Just my 2¢.
powerpoint? I think you mean frontpage. Thats the webdesign software that came with my microsoft office, powerpoint makes slides and presentations.

I don''t plan to edit, or censor submissions, I''ll mainly read them and post them on the site by hand, or reject them and send a reason to the author.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

You can set up a hyperlink on powerpoint slides by making an object (for example a text box or something) and have it link to another slide, or another page. I think you should be able to place a Powerpoint document (.ppt, I think) as an embedded object in a web page, so that the user doesn''t have to link to many different pages, just click on the links. That way you eliminate the annoying href crap (it''s been a looooong time since I''ve tried to actually program a web page because I would have nothing to put on it). That way you don''t have a site name like http://www.mypage.com/stories/abc123456789012345.htm. Of course, that would allow for plenty of submissions, but having a fairly large Powerpoint document could do the trick as well (and it is easier than programing all that annoying code!) You should be able to right click on an object and select a hyperlink or link option, it will prompt you to save before trying to link your document, then give you a "link set up" prompt.

I don''t have Powerpoint in front of me right now, so I can''t say for sure that''s how to do it, but in Sixth grade, using Powerpoint on Office 97, I made a castle project which had sounds and images, all without code. It wasn''t that impressive for a computer project (I was in sixth grade, after all), but it did the trick. You could click on various spots on the castle and it would go to a slide which explained more about it, and then go back, although it was something of a last minute thing, as my original plan wasn''t working out.

Anyway, I hope that helps. A Powerpoint file can get fairly big fast, though, so you may have to go to a format using hundreds of different webpages. I have never used Frontpage, so I don''t know if that would be just as easy.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
My signiture says it all...

Official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
(This is OrionX103. I don''t want to bother getting into my e-mail inbox for my password right now.)

I''ve thought about doing something similar to this: If you have a group of, say, three people, each of you would make a main hero and a main villain. Then, based on what you created, you would format a world and plot around them. After that, you (as a group) write the story or whatever it is you''re working on. I think it''d be fun, as long as you got a diverse group of people. You could also assign the "types" of character each person has to make. For instance, Alpha would have to make sorcerers or sorceresses, Beta would have to make mechanical or machine-based characters, and Gamma would have to make paladins or non-magical fighters.
(OK, I finally got my password.)

Another thought I had quite some time ago: I thought it''d be kinda cool to get a few artists to draw monster or demon representations of themselves, then have an outside artist combine the monsters into one. I got the idea while watching Yu-Gi-Oh. Heh, I''m a child. And I guess this a bit off the topic.
While we''re off topic, I like your site Orionx, although I only looked at it for a short period of time. I can now find out what all this fuss is over Yu-Gi-Oh since I now have Cartoon Network (Just got it yesterday!!! ) For the first time, sadly, I found joy in watching Pokemon... Anyway, I just wanted to give this thread a bump, as I love writing, and together we could always make something like this. After all, Orionx, you do make websites {rubs hands together with a look of evil planning in his eyes}... I won''t force you to do anything, but if you want to, it would be nice to have a page to do this, if you have the time. I''m willing to help, if you want it. Oh, and when you say "child", what exactly do you mean, as you said you spent several years RPing on Yahoo, or something like that (sorry if I''m misquoting you, but I closed the window). If you hadn''t said anything, I wouldn''t have known. Oh, and yes, Angelfire should die.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
What I meant by saying "I''m a child" was that I''m a child at heart, or childish. Examples of this are my liking of childish things: Yu-Gi-Oh!, very little (and I stress little) Pokemon stuff, Jackie Chan Adventures, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, sentai... I could go on, but I''d just embarrass myself. As for my actual age, I''m sixteen (as of yesterday).

The reason I like most of these are because of their influence in my writing. I love coming up with things to do with all the magical items in MOTU and Jackie Chan Adventures and sentai and so on. I often base my characters after warped versions of other characters. I have a special love for villains, like Skeletor. I''m no good at creating heroes, in my opinion.

As for the collective writing and coming up with a website, I would be more prone to come up with characters than to write. Writing becomes tedious with me after a while, and I simply find it hard to finish. But I''d be glad to provide characters, items, weapons and ideas to anyone who''d like to use them their own story.

And thanks for the complement on my website. I thought it was a badly-designed website, but it was the best I could get a website to look and it, in my opinion, has easy navigation, so that''s a plus. I could probably do another similar if people''d like it to be the home of any collective writing that we, members of GD.Net, do.
Cool, thank you. For some reason, I am finding enjoyment in watching Pokemon, although I don''t know why. Perhaps it''s just the fact that it''s anime? I haven''t really watched Yu-Gi-Oh yet, but I will soon. Happy Birthday, by the way, and I, also, find I love doing villains more than heros, although my weak point is usually in character creation.

Oh, by the way, I''m seventeen and I still have more fun playing with kids about 7 years younger than me then with kids my age. I don''t know why, I just do. So I guess we are similar in the child at heart part. Well, I don''t know if this is a good place to start a conversation, but... How is your school year going so far? I don''t know why, but I''m in a somewhat talkative mood.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement